Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

15 C.M.D.S location

Geoffbr

My Great Uncle died on 5 April 1917, having been wounded the previous day during an attack on Metz-en-Couture, near Havrincourt Wood.  His death was recorded at 15 C.M.D.S, which I presume is a Corps Main Dressing Station.  Is anyone able to advise me where this was located? 

Hello Geoff

You may find the answer in this file, which can be downloaded from the Kew website for £3.50:

15 CORPS 
WO 95/928 Headquarters Branches and Services: Deputy Director Medical Services 1916 Apr. - 1919 Mar.  

Main Dressing Stations appear not to have kept separate War Diaries, since they were not separate units but were set up as needed and staffed by one or more of the Corps' Field Ambulances.

The volumes of the Medical Official History relating to France may also have some relevant information.

Ron

I think we're taking about Richards? He may have died 5/4/17 but his death was reported by 15 CMDS 10/4/17. 20th Division ADMS diary says that on instruction from DDMS XV corps 7/4/17 he was to supply a Field Ambulance for a New MDS at Moislans which wasn't set up until 9/4/17.

I didn't see anything on a CMDS before this date but can check later, otherwise he may have died with the field ambulance that set up the new CMDS and it's just an admin thing.

TEW

Edited by TEW
correction

Scrap what I said in previous post. XV CMDS was located somewhere around Maricourt and at the time was being run by 26 FA. I've hunted for a map ref but failed to find one. Diary for 26 FA has a nice table for April 1917 giving total numbers of admissions and how disposed of. They show for 4th-5th April; admitted =356, died =1, then for 5th-6th April; admitted =382, died =5.

Looking at CWGC Richards is grouped with a few others that have date of death 5/4/17 so probably he is one of the 5 showing 5th-6th April. What they don't give is the time frame ie is it 6am to 6am or midday to midday etc.

As to the burial aspect, he was originally buried 57c.O.27.b.1.2. which seems to be in the centre of Rocquigny, a fair distance from Maricourt. He was then reburied in Bancourt British Cemetery just to the north of Rocquigny.

I'm not sure why those that died at Maricourt XV CMDS in April 1917 were taken a long way north to Rocquigny when Peronne Rd Cemetery was on their doorstep and active at the time.

TEW

Thank you Ron and TEW for your helpful responses.  Yes; it is Richards I’m researching.  I’ve obtained a copy of WO 95/928 and have found the casualty table you mention TEW. Lots of interesting stuff to read through in that diary! Most grateful for your assistance, both.

What started this off was the discovery of a memorial card, attached, amongst my deceased grandmother’s papers.  It’s perplexing because although the service number is correct both the order of his initials and his battalion are wrong.  I would have expected the name to be correct, at least!  

R J Richards KIA.pdf