Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pys-Riegel, Somme - August 1916

Ken Lees

I am starting to research a German soldier who was killed on 8th August, 1916.

All I have so far is that he served in Reserve Infanterie Regiment 86, 1. Kompagnie.

According to the regimental history, 1. Kompagnie was ordered to occupy ‘Pys-Riegel’ on the 7th of August. When 1. Kompagnie arrived at ‘Pys-Riegel’, it was sent to ’Zollernwerke’. In ’Zollenwerke’ Leutnant Thalemann got orders to storm 400 meters of ‘Gierichwege’.

Does any of this ring any bells from the other side of the wire?

Any advice on further researching this action?

Thanks in advance.

I reckon this means that your man was in the Pys Trench system, moved up tot he Zollern Redoubt and then joined in with an attack on Gelrichwege, which I dimply seem to recall was a trench (communications?). I am sure that someone will come along and be more helpful. Zollern Redoubt is easily found on a trench map - a position south of the Schwaben Redoubt and which effectively covered it from that direction.

6 hours ago, nigelcave said:

I reckon this means that your man was in the Pys Trench system, moved up tot he Zollern Redoubt and then joined in with an attack on Gelrichwege, which I dimply seem to recall was a trench (communications?). I am sure that someone will come along and be more helpful. Zollern Redoubt is easily found on a trench map - a position south of the Schwaben Redoubt and which effectively covered it from that direction.

Thanks Nigel.

I am slowly piecing it together, but finding it far more difficult than looking at British/Colonial soldiers and units