Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Remembering today

Jim Strawbridge

Sister Fanny Tindall, Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service. Attached 65th Brit. Gen. Hospital. Died 15/1/18. Buried Iraq; Basra War Cemetery; 1. G. 11. Her British War Medal and Victory Medal are presently in my collection. So I am doubly remembering her today.

SNWM record.

Details

Surname TINDALL

Firstname Fanny

Service number

Date of death 15/01/1918

Decoration

Place of birth

Other

SNWM roll WOMEN'S SERVICES.

Rank Sister

Theatre of death Unknown

CWGC

Name: TINDALL

Initials: F

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service

Unit Text: Reserve

Secondary Unit Text: attd. 65th Brit. Gen. Hosp.

Date of Death: 15/01/1918

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: I. G. 11.

Cemetery: BASRA WAR CEMETERY

Aye

Malcolm

Jim, I think that is our first case of anyone having any personal connection with one of our randomly-chosen subjects for "Remembering Today".

Nothing more on Fanny just yet. Another female casualty was Mary Tindall, Voluntary Aid Detachment and I don't even know if they were related. A census search on a 0 to 20 age at 1901 gives seven Fanny Tindall's the two most likeliest being Yorkshire born.

SueL has been in touch off Forum and pointed me in the direction of the British Journal of Nursing where in February 1918 is a short roll of four names "accidentally drowned" and eight names "drowned". The latter eight relate to the sinking of HS Osmanieh sunk by mine off Alexandria on the 31st December 1917. Fanny Tindall is one of the four names in "accidentally drowned". All four women (F.D. Compton, F.M. Faithfull, F. Tindall and A. Welford) died on the same day (15th January 1918) and are buried in adjacent graves in Basrah War Cemetery (graves I.G.11 to I.G.14). My assumption is, therefore, that they probably died in the same (boating ?) accident. Anyone with access to the Times archives care to have a search and see if such an accident is noted ?

Jim, I think that is our first case of anyone having any personal connection with one of our randomly-chosen subjects for "Remembering Today".

The soldier remembered on 25 Aug last year was Pte Frank Lethbridge KIA 25 Aug 1914, whose niece is known by both myself and Paul Reed.

Guest Pete Wood
SueL has been in touch off Forum and pointed me in the direction of the British Journal of Nursing where in February 1918 is a short roll of four names "accidentally drowned" and eight names "drowned". The latter eight relate to the sinking of HS Osmanieh sunk by mine off Alexandria on the 31st December 1917. Fanny Tindall is one of the four names in "accidentally drowned". All four women (F.D. Compton, F.M. Faithfull, F. Tindall and A. Welford) died on the same day (15th January 1918) and are buried in adjacent graves in Basrah War Cemetery (graves I.G.11 to I.G.14). My assumption is, therefore, that they probably died in the same (boating ?) accident. Anyone with access to the Times archives care to have a search and see if such an accident is noted ?

All four ladies are mentioned as being on a new roll of honour, announced in April 1918, but they are shown as 'drowned.'

However this appeared in February 1918....

post-38-1105959819.jpg