Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFA in Onnezies, Belgium

Vincent

Hi,

At Onnezies, a little village near Mons, men said there was a little battle near the river La Honnelles.

Other Villages: Audregnies, Elouges, Roisin...

A photographer was living at Onnezies: J. Roucoux.

He taked this picture.

I read on the shoulders the 3 letters of the brigade: RFA.

It must be dated near Nov, dec 1918 or later. No dates.

What cant we say about this picture?

Are they canadians?

Ares they coming back?

Are they in the farm of the 2 girls, with horses, guns and baggages?

I'm searching the names and the age of the 2 girls.

Sorry, my englishes letters are very bad?

But, can you help my research?

Thank you

Vct

Photo J. Roucoux 3 soldats de la RFA Onnezies.JPG

Welcome to the Forum Vincent,

56th Divisional Ammunition Column RFA were at Onnezies between November 9, 1918 and December 4, 1918. Also X/56 and Y/56 Trench Mortar Batteries for a slightly shorter period. Unfortunately the level of detail in the War Diary does not include individual billets but these men must have known the 2 girls for a while during those weeks. 

Welcome Vincent

I cannot help with your specific questions. An enlarged head and shoulders photo of the soldiers may help the uniform experts on this forum identify their units.

The 56th (London) Division were attached to the Canadian Corps and took part in the attack across Le Petite Honnelles (part of the Battle of the Sambre). 

The following are extracts from the 56th Div and 281 RFA Brigade History/War Diary. They were in the area at the time.

I have also notes that the Canadian 4th Division took Rombies on the  5th Nov and the 11th Division captured Roisin. Overnight of 6th/7th Nov part of the 56th Divisions lines were taken over by 63rd Division.

Another note in the

My Grandfather was in 281 RFA Brigade. Unfortunately he is not in your photographs.

Bob

56th Division

281 RFA Brigade

4 Nov

Queens Westminster’s capture Sebourg.

London Scottish attack Sebourtquiaux. The Battle of the Sambre.

05.30 56th division Artillery and 147th Brigade AFA supported London Scottish attack. A281 advanced with infantry.

5 Nov

05.30 169th Brigade attack high ground to east of R. Aunelle and captured Angreau.

Kensington’s and London Scottish attack Angre with artillery support.

4th Canadians take Rombies. Overnight on high ground to the W. of R. Grande Honnelle

HQ at Sebourg.

A281 crossed La Grande Honnelle, remainder in action on West bank.

6 Nov

Attack by 168th & 169th across river between Bois de Beaufort and Angre with very limited success.

56th providing rations for 16000 civilians.

7th & 8th Middlesex successfully attack line Angre to Angreau, many casualties. 245th and 246thRFA Brigades join 56th Division Artillery (280 & 281 RFA Brigades)

7 Nov

63rd division relieved 168th Brigade.

169th Brigade relieved by 167th Brigade. 56th Division now on single brigade front with 11th Division on the right.

7th & 8th Middlesex take the wood, Onnezies, cross Le Petite Honnelles and take Monignies.

HQ at Angreau.

168th Brigade relieved by 167th Brigade overnight who then attacked at 08.30. Angreau bombarded by RFA 245 & 246 Brigades including Gas.

8 Nov

7th & 8th Middlesex take Athis and Fayt le Franc.

Outposts established at Petit Moranfayt, Trieu Jean Sart, Ferlibray and Richon by nightfall.

05.00 Brigade & HQ moved with 167th Brigade to Onnezies.

08.30 167th Brigade attack covered by 245 & 246 RFA brigades – no barrage required as no opposition.

pm Group moved to Croquet a & Fayt-le- Franc

Edited by RobertBr
Add Column heading

Thank you, Bob and David.

Thank for the welcoming.

Then, if the 56th (London) Division were attached to the Canadian Corps and took part in the attack across Le Petite Honnelles (part of the Battle of the Sambre). This 3 soldiers were n't canadians. Is n't it?

I recognize a anchor stripe on the right arm of the sergent. 

The whit cord on the feft arm meaned they were volunteers?

Le tissu Chevron Rank Stripes Badge: qu’est-ce qu’un chevron au-dessus du bras droit et pointé vers le bas: son temps de guerre?

Merci de votre aide.

Lorsque j'aurai plus d'informations, je vous reviendrai.

Vct

PS:

1-Je trouve d'autres photos du 19 juin 1919: un régiment indien à Onnezies. (le même photographe)

Lanciers bengali? 

Ces images ont été oubliées 100 ans dans un grenier !!

2- Le long de la rivière La petite Honnelles, des voisins d’Audregnies me montrent un endroit avec un gros trou de bombe.

Ils ont dit qu'il y avait des combats à cet endroit.  

Thank you, Bob and David.

Thank for the welcoming.

Then, if the 56th (London) Division were attached to the Canadian Corps and took part in the attack across Le Petite Honnelles (part of the Battle of the Sambre). This 3 soldiers were n't canadians. Is n't it?

I recognize a anchor stripe on the right arm of the sergent. 

The whit cord on the left arm meaned they were volunteers?

The cloth Chevron Rank Stripes Badge: what's meaning of one chevron on the top of his right arm, pointed down: his war time?

Thank you for your help.

When i have more informations, i'll be back to you.

Vct

PS:

1-I find other pictures dated 19 juny 1919: a indian regiment in Onnezies. (the same photographer)

Bengali lancers? 

This pictures were forgotten 100 years in an attic!!

2- Along La petite Honnelles river, some neighbours of Audregnies show me a place with a big bomb hole.

They saied there were fights on this place.  

Vincent

I am sure that members of the GWF would be delighted to see some more of your photographs.They would be probably be best put in a new topic.

Perhaps you could help me? Belowis a page from my Grandfathers 1918 Diary.

1913966976_DiarySnippet.JPG.2573fef4b3e0d71490d2c5d507da4e2e.JPG

On the 9th Nov he left Athis and reached Nag???. At the bottom of the  page he Left Nag??? for Quevy Le Petit.

Do you know where Nag??? is?

Thankyou

Bob

Merci, Bob et David.

Merci pour l'accueil.

Ensuite, si la  56e Division (Londres) était rattachée au Corps canadien et participait à  l'attaque contre Le Petite Honnelles (partie de la bataille de la Sambre). Ces 3 soldats n'étaient pas canadiens. N'est-ce pas?

Je reconnais une bande d'ancrage sur le bras droit du sergent. 

La corde blanche sur le bras gauche signifiait qu'ils étaient des volontaires?

Le tissu Chevron Rank Stripes Badge: que signifie un chevron sur le haut de son bras droit, pointé vers le bas: son temps de guerre?

Merci de votre aide.

Lorsque j'aurai plus d'informations, je vous reviendrai.

Vct

PS:

1-Je trouve d'autres photos du 19 juin 1919: un régiment indien à Onnezies. (le même photographe)

Lanciers bengali? 

Ces images ont été oubliées 100 ans dans un grenier !!

2- Le long de la rivière La petite Honnelles, des voisins d’Audregnies me montrent un endroit avec un gros trou de bombe.

Ils ont dit qu'il y avait des combats à cet endroit.  

Hello Bob,

I read:

F 8 november 1918: Left Sebourg/ ...into Belgium/ reached Fayt-le-Franc/Athis at night/Rotten weather.

S 9 november 1918: Left Athis/lovely morning/ reached...Mag...Nagun...Naj..?

I don't find a belgian village neighbour with this first letters, i'm sorry.

The most proximal is : Montignies-sur -Roc or the street: Moranfayt.

Note: If you left Athis and you return to France, there is a street called Rue Laurent Niogret, the french village near the belgian fronteer, is called Hon-Hergies.

Near this street is a street called: English street...a hasard?

If i can help you.

Best regards

Vct

Vincent

Thanks for looking into this. I expect my Grandfather saw a sign somewhere which he thought was the name of a place. It is however the only name in his diary that I cannot find.

Bob

10 hours ago, Vincent said:

I read on the shoulders the 3 letters of the brigade: RFA.

It must be dated near Nov, dec 1918 or later. No dates.

What cant we say about this picture?

Are they canadians?

Ares they coming back?

Are they in the farm of the 2 girls, with horses, guns and baggages?

Bonsoir Vincent,

On the page it mentions the picture was likely taken in the first quarter of 1919. Based on that:

1) They are not Canadians. The 4th Canadian Division (more specifically the 102nd Battalion) fought in this area to cross La Grande Honnelle and La Petite Honnelle on November 6th. That is the battle you refer to. As far as I can see they did not return.

2) The RFA (Royal Field Artillery) would indeed make them English, but whether they actually fought here is unlikely I think. Most units that did were already somewhere else.

3) They are liking staying here ahead of demobilisation or moving into Germany. Just like the Indians you mention in another photo.

4) It was common for soldiers to be billeted at private homes. Without their guns and horses!

I hope this helps a little.

All the best,

Darrell