Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Death Plaque/Penny

wmfinch

Hello All,

I have an ancestor who was killed during WW1, and his medals were returned in 1919.  Thankfully, I have managed to successfully apply for his replacement medals through the British Medals Office, but have no idea whether a death plaque was issued.

Does anyone know if they were automatically issued or if the family had to apply for it?  I suspect the original medals were rejected by the family because of grief, so if a plaque had to be applied for, I assume they didn't apply.  However, if one was issued automatically, I guess it may have been returned with the medals, thrown away or is still out there somewhere.

I hope it is the latter, but have no idea if I would be wasting my time searching for it.  His name was Reginald Wilfred Evans by the way.

Any help or advice will be very much appreciated.

V/R

Wayne

Wayne,

The surviving files of soldiers who died often contain Army Form W5080, which was posted to the person stated to be next of kin in the records.  The form asked them to list the nearest living kin of the soldier and their addresses, beginning with wife, father, mother; then brothers of full blood (in age order) and so on down to grandparents or other relatives if none of the other categories had names.

The form had to be signed by the respondent and formally sworn as true in the presence of a minister of religion or magistrate.  Having said which I've seen at least one form where the widow left a blank for the man's parents, even though they were still alive!  

The point was (as stated in the form) to enable the Memorial Plaque and King's Scroll to be sent to the person most qualified under the rules to receive them.  While an Other Rank soldier's medals were sent automatically to whoever he nominated as "next of kin" (and it needn't be a family member - I've seen fiancee or friend listed), the other two items were to go to his nearest relative.  So I have seen a file where the medals went to a fiancee while the Plaque and Scroll were delivered to the parents.  In some cases where there was no family the authorities stated that others could apply - eg. masters of workhouses/orphanages.  

So in theory while the next of kin would have received his medals by recorded delivery post, without requesting them, the n.o.k. had in some sense to agree to receive the Plaque and Scroll (or give the details of the blood relative they were to be sent to) by completing the Form.  If the medals had been returned as unwanted, so too I expect they might not respond to Army Form W5080 - or send it back with a suitable refusal.  Complete files would include receipt slips for all these items, as well as any surviving effects.  

What I don't know is whether the Plaque and Scroll were manufactured anyway.  If the authorities were waiting for the Form before producing them, perhaps in such a case of refusal they never existed?  However, in the Arnside Street warehouse fire of 1940 which destroyed so many records, it is noted that the destruction also extended to an unknown number of unclaimed Memorial Plaques.  "Late claim" instances are known where the Plaque has the name engraved, rather than cast, so maybe there were blanks in store??

Hope this helps

Clive

Edited by clive_hughes

Thank you so much Clive,

I really didn't know what the system was and you have explained it brilliantly.

I know my ancestors Gloucestershire Regt. records were destroyed in the fire during WW2, so I guess we will never know.

What is also very interesting is the fact that you say late requests had the name engraved instead of being cast.  Perhaps that makes a replica slightly more appealing.  I'll think about that, but I would much rather find an original with the correct name, and I know that is much easier said than done!

Incidently, Private Reginald Wilfred Evans' photograph is going to be one of the images projected onto the windows of the Municipal  Offices in the Promenade, Cheltenham as part of a 15 min film, running in a loop from 5pm to 8pm on the 11th November.  I feel honoured that he is not forgotten after giving his life for our country.

Once again, many thanks Clive .. Very much appreciated.

V/R

Wayne

Plaque production did not start until late 1919.  If medals were returned in 1919 then it is likely the plaque was never claimed, as main production was 1920,21,22.

Thank you 303man ... Excellent info!

I'm thinking I will never find an original plaque for my ancestor, but at least I have his official replacement medals which I have taken to his grave at Highland Cemetery, Le Cateau.

Also, the Soldiers of Gloucestershire Museum have the original photo of him and all the postcards he sent to his fiancée.  To say the least, I have been blessed with success in my research about him ... I just think a memorial plaque would have rounded things off nicely.

V/R

Wayne