Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MMP and London Jocks

Steven Broomfield

Toby Brayley at the Military Police Museum (well worth a visit: museum's good, too) shared the attached picture with me. It shows a group of Mounted Military Police NCOs and three London Jocks. We felt it worth sharing.

The Jocks are from the 1st Battalion - the chap standing end right clearly has the inverted red triangle worn by the battalion. The reclining Jock wears two overseas chevrons.

Sadly, the police are more interesting. The Sergeant, centre,  has a Military Medal ribbon, but also a 14 or 14/14 Star. However, he doesn't appear to have a red overseas chevron so we assume his overseas service dates from 1915 so assume it's a 14/15 Star - dating the picture (we think) to 1919. There is at least one 14 Star holder (with red chevron) and a Corporal in the rear rank with an MM but no Star.

Are our assumptions correct? I have shared this with our regimental archivist to see if he can add anything, but any ideas on the location and time?

MMP and London Scottish c1919.png

The MMP Corporal sat on the right appears to have ball buttons. The only regiments I have seen to do this on service dress (unofficially of course) during this period were Hussars (the 10th especially) and RHA. Possibly a former hussar before transfer?

Ball-button man  has the 14 or 14-15 ribbon but no overseas service chevrons. Everyone else, whose sleeves are visible, has theirs. He must have been entitled to at least one to get his star. Given his seeming attention to dress detail, why would he not have put it/them on ?

Ball button man has the ordinary flat small buttons on the pockets. RHA did this I think. Don't know about Hussars.

Good spot!

Close up on the chap in question. We have a number of photos in the collection of MMP/MFP Men that have retained their  Corps or Regimental Buttons. 

MMP and London Scottish c1919.jpg

For example this chap is still wearing his rifles buttons (on the high resolution it is much clearer). He also demonstrates a very common way of wearing the pistol case with pistol supporting strap. 

Rifles Buttons.jpg

Edited by Toby Brayley

On 17/10/2018 at 17:00, elliot#1 said:

The MMP Corporal sat on the right appears to have ball buttons. The only regiments I have seen to do this on service dress (unofficially of course) during this period were Hussars (the 10th especially) and RHA. Possibly a former hussar before transfer?

The KRRC officer’s did so as well, but not the other ranks, although I’m unsure about the RSM.