Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mercantile fleet auxiliary

George Macdonald

Good morning fiends.

hoping your expertise will help me ,

I’ve got a ww1 1914-15 trio to a fireman in the MFA ,where would I find any records or information on him, also would he have been entitled to the MMWM

FMN T CORCORAN MFA

thank you

D35BC607-9D55-4C11-BEFB-5D424FB65CBF.jpeg

Edited by George Macdonald

MFA medals are on the Mercantile Marine Reserve medal rolls and only one T. Corcoran is listed.

Thomas Corcoran 967938. St.V.B. [i.e.WW1 trio] sent to Self.

The MFA were not awarded the MMWM. He would have had to have separate Merchant Navy service with qualifying criteria to qualify.

ARABIS.

Hi Arabis 

can you tell me where do I find these rolls also where can I locate his service papers 

cheers for your help

george

6 hours ago, ARABIS said:

MFA medals are on the Mercantile Marine Reserve medal rolls and only one T. Corcoran is listed.

Thomas Corcoran 967938. St.V.B. [i.e.WW1 trio] sent to Self.

The MFA were not awarded the MMWM. He would have had to have separate Merchant Navy service with qualifying criteria to qualify.

ARABIS.

Arabis

You say that the MFA were not awarded the MMWM with some conviction, so would you please take the trouble to explain the following to resolve my confusion

The conditions of award of the MMWM states:

"Officers, men and women, who under special Naval Engagements (i.e.Form T124 and its variants), in the army, or in the Royal Air Force, had in many cases performed service during some other part of the War which would entitle them to the MMWM.  Such Officers, men and women were awarded the MMWM apart from any further medal which might be awarded under the regulations of the Admiralty....."  

So my question to you is as long as the person in question fulfilled the criteria for award of the MMWM why would they be precluded from that award MMWM just because they were in the MFA, they were, after all, Merchant Seamen.

Tony

4 hours ago, George Macdonald said:

Hi Arabis 

can you tell me where do I find these rolls also where can I locate his service papers 

cheers for your help

george

George,

The medal rolls are available on Ancestry. UK Naval Medal Award Rolls, 1793-1972, WW1  Medals.

They can also be downloaded for free from Discovery at The National Archives, the MMR Rolls are ADM171/131, ADM171/132, & ADM171/133.

As far as I know there are no MFA/MMR service records available.

ARABIS.

2 hours ago, MerchantOldSalt said:

Arabis

You say that the MFA were not awarded the MMWM with some conviction, so would you please take the trouble to explain the following to resolve my confusion

The conditions of award of the MMWM states:

"Officers, men and women, who under special Naval Engagements (i.e.Form T124 and its variants), in the army, or in the Royal Air Force, had in many cases performed service during some other part of the War which would entitle them to the MMWM.  Such Officers, men and women were awarded the MMWM apart from any further medal which might be awarded under the regulations of the Admiralty....."  

So my question to you is as long as the person in question fulfilled the criteria for award of the MMWM why would they be precluded from that award MMWM just because they were in the MFA, they were, after all, Merchant Seamen.

Tony

mmr026copy.jpg.c329ff59c1b7156427dc2b91f979017d.jpg

Tony,

My interpretation is that they didn't automatically qualify for the MMWM as they did for other WW1 medals unless as in para. above "performed service during some other part of the War". For example I have a group of four medals [Star, BWM, VM, & MMWM] to an Officer's Steward who joined the RN in 1917 but was prior to then a Ship's Steward in the Mercantile Marine. It was his MM service that qualified him for the MMWM. So those MFA/MMR men under T124 articles who did get MMWM must have had some purely MM service as well. The T124 men were awarded the Victory Medal because they came under naval control which the MM only men were not.

ARABIS.

Edited by ARABIS

Thank you very much Arabis, that also explains why the pair I have to a Merchant Service steward of the MMWM and BWM he doesn't have a VM.

Tony