Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Upper age limit out break of WW1

loujn

Hi, I am just writing up the story of a soldier who served prior to WW1 with the Royal Engineers.  At the outbreak of WW1 he enlisted back into the Royal Engineers as a "Special Reserve".  

Its just got me wondering, because he would have been 39 in 1914, but he declared his age as 41 years and 197 days - any thoughts on why this might have been? 

Despite googling - I cant seem to find a definitive upper age limit at the outbreak of WW1 (only later) Do you think he was trying to ensure that he was too old to be sent overseas? as he was the main carer for his widowed mother by then.

Thanks folks,

Louise 

• 3 weeks later...

Louise

From the Long, Long Trail Link , the upper age limit for regular service was 38 years, the upper age limit for the Special Reserve was 42 years (for soldiers who had done their reserve service), the SR was mobilised in August 1914, and all men in it were on full-time service. He wasn't trying to avoid service, as he was to old for regular service, he was trying to get into action!.

Hope this helps

John

• 2 years later...

My husband's grandfather joined 4/5 LNL on 13 October 1915 at the age of 44 - Richard Thomas Hall Reg.No. 7344/243063.  He went to France in 1917 and attained the rank of Serjeant.  He was a Tailor by trade so perhaps exceptions were made for particular skills - he had no previous military experience.       

With regard to the ex Royal Engineer, had he lied about his age when he initially joined the Royal Engineers, and then when reenlisting kept the lie going?

With regard to Richard Thomas Hall, the age limits changed during the war, so he was probably within the correct age bracket when he enlisted