Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

St Genois Churchyard: South Wales Borderers

familyhistoryman

I hope someone is able to help with the location of St Genois Churchyard.

War Diary of the 6th South Wales Borderers:

22 Oct 1918:  Battalion moved to St Genois 15 casualties sustained during the night.

I am research Albert Edward Heap who was killed in action on 22 Oct 1918 and was first buried at St Genois Churchyard and later reburied at Lijssenthoek Military Cemtery.

Regards, Tony

Many thanks

Tony

• 1 year later...

Visited Liissenthoek last year with a friend with the surname Prince. Quite by chance we came upon the grave of I. Prince of the South Wales Borderers killed on 22nd October 1918. Further research showed that his remains has been transferred from St Denijs in 1981 along with 14 others.

It turned out that Ivor Prince lived at 17 Regent Street (edited), Barry which is an ancestral address in my friend's family tree and that Ivor was a great uncle. Since the visit, together, we have been trying to gather more information as regards to his death.

We will be visiting Lijssenthoek again in May and it would be great to be armed with more information regarding Ivor's, and his comrades death, on that sad day in 1918.

Hoping you can help in this matter.

Regards Steve.

Edited by Steve Andrews

Thank you for the info. In my original post I put the address as Derwent Street (now edited) which should have been Regent Street. I did see that he was awarded the MM and would greatly appreciate further information regarding that if possible or any snippets from the war diaries.

Regards

Steve

Edited by Steve Andrews