Remembered Today:

13th Middlesex Regiment

If any members ever need help with anything regarding the 13th Battalion Middlesex Regiment please feel free to ask as i have been collecting and researching them for 30 years now as my both Great Grandfathers and their brothers served , so i have an extensive knowledge regarding stuff on them

• 1 month later...

Tankie,

I’ve been trying to research the movements and history of my great grandfather, Pte Arthur Attwell G/42703, 13th Middlesex Regiment.  I know his records were destroyed during the Blitz and all that remains is a medal card.  He was killed June 20, 1917 with several others near what I believe to be Battle Wood. I’ve read the war diary entries for several days on either side of his death. I don’t know what company he was in and the maps I’ve found don’t have trench names or units shown to be in the area.   I’ve seen his name on the Menin Gate and found information on him through census records and “Tipton Remembers”.   Another member on the forum has a relative with a serial number 9 digits off from Arthur. They probably stood in line together...  Anything you have to offer would be appreciated. I’d like to get it narrowed down to the point where I can take another trip to Ypres and make it to the area where he was killed.   Thanks in advance,

Bryan

Hi Bryan,

Hopefully Tankie will get back to you with some details. In the meantime, from his Soldiers' Died record it seems that your great grandfather enlisted in Tipton, Staffordshire. On his medal roll record, his overseas service is shown as being entirely with the 13/Middlesex. In the roll he is surrounded by men with consecutive service numbers, also only serving overseas with the same Battalion. There are some surviving service papers for a couple of men (G/42693 Parker, and G/42707 Gardiner) whose numbers 'bracket' that of Arthur. They indicate that they went overseas on 30th April 1917, and whilst at 30 Infantry Base Depot (in Etaples) were transferred from the 74 Training Reserve Battalion to the Middlesex Regiment (renumbered to their 'G/' number), and posted to the 13th Battalion. The papers for Gardiner show slightly more detail than those of Parker...

image.png.f4de6ef5e10c653eb5dfae6a69469c92.png

Image source: Findmypast

In reading the record the dates on the right are the event dates, and those on the left, the date of the report from which the entry was made. It seems likely that Arthur followed the same overseas path. The "Joined Battalion" date for Gardiner is indicative of when he actually joined them in the field. Unfortunately, the Battalion war diary doesn't record specific dates for when reinforcements/drafts were received. For May 1917, it just shows a figure of 338 "other ranks" - i.e. not officers. If you were to need any help to locate diaries referred to in the other tread you posted in (e.g. the Brigade HQ diary) , please do ask. 

Arthur left a will - £10 from here. It may well only consist of a very few words. It would come as a low resolution B&W scan of the original.

Good luck in your research.

Regards

Chris

Edited by clk

Chris,

Thanks for that information, it’s fantastic!  I appreciate you taking the time to look it up and pass it on to me. I was not aware of a will, I don’t know that my grandmother was either, while she was still living, she never mentioned it. Thank you for that link, I will certainly look into it.  

I have some of his personal effects, specifically his pocket watch, which he was carrying at the time of his death.  I also have the memorial plaque and his service medal with the original packaging. I do not have the victory medal, another family member/granddaughter has that.   My grandmother had been born two months prior to his death and she had told me there was a letter among his personal items to that effect which was also returned.  Sadly, that letter was lost decades ago. 

Thanks again for your help!

Cheers,

Bryan

Hi Bryan and Chris

Just spotted this re Arthur Attwell - your great-grandfather Chris. Tiptonremembers.net is my research project re the Men of Tipton killed in the Great War, I'm delighted that you found his page. I will send you a Private Message.

Bryan, thanks for the detailed 'delving' into the adjacent men, I hope it's ok with you as I've taken your research and added your conclusions to Arthur Attwell's page.

regards

Andy

• 1 month later...

Hi Bryan 

Sorry for the late reply hopefully this info will help you greatly, Firstly as for which company your great grandfather was in all i can say it was either A,B or C as at the time of his death D company were in reserve and had no casualties at the time of his death, As he has no known grave it is almost 100% certainty he was one of the men killed by enemy artillery as i have other soldiers medals from the battalion also killed at the same time whos bodies were recovered and who were buried in a makeshift cemetery close to Battle wood who were later exhumed an moved to either Hooge Crater Cemetery or Perth Cemetery, As for his service number it never dictated which company he would end up in as can be seen from my families involvement with the 13th Middx, My Great Grandfather and 3 of his brothers joined at Mill Hill in London at the very start of the war and all ended up in different companies, also my other Great Grandfather also joined at the beginning of the War with the 13th aged 16 and unlike my other Great Grandfather who dies in 1916 he fought all the way through and survived ending the war in the Northamptonshire Regiment.

Anyway iv added a map for you which was dated 14-6-1917 but was still current when 13th Middx took up positions i have added the positions they were in at that time , if you have google earth you can overlay the map on the current map of the area of Battle wood this will then give you an exact area to walk over if you go back to belgium google earth has tools where you can mark a point an it will give you exact walking distances point to point, Unfortunately at the time not many trench names were given but if you do what iv suggested with google earth you can literally get yourself more or less exactly where they were. Anything else i can help with please feel free to drop me a line. If you need a full size image of the map let me know an i will email you one as im unsure what it will turn out like on here.

Tankie

13th Midd June 1917.jpg

Edited by Guest
Added more info

• 1 year later...

Hi Tankie,

I am trying to assist a neighbour in some research of a relative Thomas Edwin Bloomfield b 1898 in Kensington, London .  I have seen his pension record that confirms his father and service number G/20806 13th Btn Middlesex.  He died on 23 Aug 1918 and is buried at BULLY-GRENAY COMMUNAL CEMETERY, BRITISH EXTENSION.  We are trying to find out when he joined up, where he died and anything about his service.  I have searched all the normal places, Ancestry, Forces War Records, National Archives etc. Any pointers would be welcome.

Best regards - John

Hi John,

Welcome to the forum.

Whilst it appears that his service file hasn't survived, there are some for other near number Middlesex Regiment men that have.

G/20801 Hobbs - (attested 21.10.1915) 'joined' at Mill Hill 28.10.1915

G/20802 Joyce - (attested 25.10.1915) 'joined' at Mill Hill 28.10.1915

G/20803 Shepherd - (attested 26.10.1915) 'joined' at Mill Hill 29.10.1915

G/20806

G/20807 Brand - (attested 28.10.1915) 'joined' at Mill Hill 29.10.1915

His medal roll record indicates that Thomas had overseas service with the 16th, then 13th Bn. 

image.png.f9649843af096648ff2dcc3e805dd92d.png

Image sourced from Ancestry

Without a service file, the difficulties are in establishing which unit/s he served 'at home' with; when he was sent overseas; and when he was transferred from the 16th to 13th Bn Middlesex Regiment.

For the date of his death, the 13th Bn diary is here; the 73 Bde HQ diary here; and the 24 Division HQ (General Staff) diary here - all currently available as free downloads. If you need any help with reading map references there is good advice here. You might also find this website useful.

If you were to be able to establish his dates with the 16th Bn, their war diary is here

If your neighbour would like an image of his grave it would be worth contacting British War Graves who have a vast number of digital images, which they provide free of charge. Unfortunately, they are currently reconstructing their website, so I couldn't check to see the coverage in the particular cemetery.  The site does though say that they (he) are still taking requests.

Regards

Chris

Hi Chris - thank you for your quick replied and the information above, very helpful to get a picture of his service.  He was just over 17 when he signed up, looks like there was some kind of recruitment drive in Mill Hill and he died just a few months before the end of the war aged 20.  So sad.  It looks like from the cemetery records that they did not even know his age when he was buried.

Thanks again - John

• 5 months later...

Hi Tankie, can you please help me with any information about my grandfather Thomas Henry Pearson? He was a private in the 13th Middlesex Regiment. Number 9G8 509 (I think). He was wounded on the 7th November 1918. I have a copy of the telegram sent to my Grandmother.

Thank you in advance,

Chris

• Admin

Tankie  hasn't visited the forum since February. Now you have made two posts, you can try contacting them via personal messages.

Michelle 

• 1 year later...

Tankie,

Apologies for my late reply.  The map and additional information is fantastic, more than I could have hoped for.  I’ll be digging back into my research thanks to your information, hopefully I’ll be able to make a more informed trip to Belgium when the time comes I’m able.  I’d appreciate an email copy of the map if you’re still able to send it, and thanks again!

Cheers!

Bryan

• Admin

Unfortunately, Tankie is no longer a member here as denoted by Guest. We won’t hold any contact information for him. 

Michelle,

I was afraid of that, thanks for the info.

• 2 months later...
On 04/05/2022 at 02:27, Pte. Attwell said:

Tankie,

Apologies for my late reply.  The map and additional information is fantastic, more than I could have hoped for.  I’ll be digging back into my research thanks to your information, hopefully I’ll be able to make a more informed trip to Belgium when the time comes I’m able.  I’d appreciate an email copy of the map if you’re still able to send it, and thanks again!

Cheers!

Bryan

Hi Bryan its Tankie im back mate, lost my membership as i was away so iv just done a new one

1 hour ago, tankie said:

Hi Bryan its Tankie im back mate, lost my membership as i was away so iv just done a new one

Tankie, I’m glad to hear it, and thanks for the reply.  I’ve been able to enlarge the map photo on my computer to get a better look at the locations, and compare it with google maps.  I need to see about getting a larger copy in-hand.  Thanks again for the map, it’s really been a fantastic resource.  My wife and I are thinking about making a trip back to the UK in September and if we do, I’d like to make a side trip to Ypres and put that map to good use.  

Hi Bryan glad it helped mate, i will go through my things an see if i have a better image for you to overlay on google maps, if you come over in September im not far from Heathrow Airport so could possibly help if needed

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm looking for any information on John Buscall, does he appear in any diaries, how/where did he die?

Regiment, Corps etc.: Duke of Cambridge's Own (Middlesex Regiment)  
Battalion etc.: 13th Battalion.  

Last name: Buscall  

First name(s): John  

Initials: J  

Birthplace: Forest Gate, Essex  

Enlisted: Mill Hill, Middlesex  

Residence: Bournemouth, Hants  

Number: G/25008  

Date died: 25 August 1917  

How died: Killed in action  

Theatre of war: France & Flanders

John Buscall  originally enlisted into the 16th Middlesex, after this he was transferred to the 11th middx before finally going to the 13th , the 13th were in Inverness Copse Belgium near Ypres, on the night of 25th Aug 1917 when they were attacked on their left flank D Coy were holding an held the position, John isnt named in the War Diary but he was one of 7 killed or died of wounds for the month of August, so its likely he was either killed or died of his wounds in the attack on the 25th If you need anything else drop me a PM 

Glad to help if you need copies of the War diary or any other paperwork let me know.

• 1 month later...

Hi all..  I'm looking for a photo of 13th Middlesex Regiment 1915-1918. My GGrandfather was drafted to the Western Front after training. He was a Private and his name is Fredrick May (DOB 20/3/1897) Regimental no. 242652/8133, residing in Hammersmith.  His name was sometimes spelt Frederick.  I've attached his Army cards - one you will note has been stamped "DEAD" however, he did not die during the war?  Any and all information would be appreciated - especially any direction to photos!

Many thanks :)

May, Frederick (8133, 242652).jpg

Fred May WW1 Card.jpg

May, Frederick (242652, 8133).jpg