Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photograph Album of Steam Trains France 1919

themonsstar

I picked up this album as I found it quite unusual as it's not my normal collecting theme however I posted it for your enjoyment. If anyone has any information on the pictures just post away.

Roy 

Trains 1.JPG

Trains 2.JPG

Trains 3.JPG

Trains 4.JPG

Next four

Trains 5.JPG

Trains 6.JPG

Trains 7.JPG

Trains 8.JPG

Trains 9.JPG

Trains 10.JPG

Trains 11.JPG

Trains 12.JPG

Edited by themonsstar

At the Armistice the Germans were ordered to cede 5,000 locomotives to the Allies.  Quite how many the British took over is not known, and those they did were quickly handed over to the Belgians.  So the German locos are what are known as Repatriation locos. The Belgians kept many of theirs in service up to the end of steam traction in 1960/70.

The Canadian 2-8-0 is one of 49 built for the British Railway Operating Division by the Canadian Locomotive Works, Montreal, to provide more locomotives for France as the British home railway companies were unable to provide more and keep traffic running in the UK.  After the war the 37 remaining were sold to the Nord Railway of France and were converted to tank engines and ended their working life on Paris suburban services by about 1960 although some were still in use at that date at Tergnier, near St Quentin, which had been the out edge of the ROD operating area.  

TF 2 is Richborough-Calais Train Ferry No 2, the Gare Maritime is still there, although it has long lost its rail connection and now serves as offices and a loo/cum self-service drinjs for car passengers.  

The leave trains consisted of converted Ambulance Train stock.

Julian

THats great , my Grandfather was a a RE and trained as an engine driver based initially I believe at Calais would love to think of him driving one of those!

Tony

I reckon `self` would have been a railway enthusiast and would be delighted to see big old Prussian 4-6-0 engines at Calais for sure.
He`s also taken pics of engines and trains here in the UK and the descriptions on the photos are surely of the `trainspotting fraternity`

superb stuff,thanks

• 2 weeks later...