Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

17th (Service) Battalion Welsh Regiment (1st Glamorgan)

huwrevans

Hi,  Anyone one here able to help with information on 17th (Service) Battalion Welsh Regiment (1st Glamorgan)?

Found this ring on the Gower, and aware of two others (identical), onw found in Swansea.  1st Glam stamped on the back.

Any thoughts?

20180927_175140.jpg

20180927_175155.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The Bantam battalion of the Welsh, raised December 1914 and  went to Rhyl and moved around 40th and 43rd Divisions. Landed June 1916 in France then disbanded 1918. That is the information from the museum. Not much to go on. 

A small article appears in South Wales Weekly Post for the 26th December saying a telegram has been received to raise a bantam battalion within the Welsh Army Corps of men from Glamorgan to be sent to Porthcawl! 

We have a very small window of the 17th being in South Wales. Are you aware of any of these rings being found in Porthcawl? 

Searching the web for the 17th as I'm trying to pin a man down from the 17th. 

@Bernard_Lewis any information on the 17th being in and around Swansea? 

I'm currently away from home. Marden's history might mention it. I'll check in a few days, when back.

Bernard

Are the rings necessarily Welsh Regt Infantry?

There are 1st Glamorgan Yeomanry/Rifles and 1st Glamorgan Artillery I believe. Possibly other units as well.

1st Glamorgan Volunteer Battalion also but they appear to be Royal Defence Corps based out of Barry. 

As an aside searching the newspaper archives I come across this

http://newspapers.library.wales/view/4000811/4000813/12/bantam

Bantam may be small but still hard nuts!

Edit Hywn Glamorgan Artillery, are they field or horse artillery? 

Edited by Scalyback

Marden doesn't help, I'm afraid...

Bernard

Having a hunch the rings date further back to the volunteer period. Having searched through there are numerous units using 1st Glamorgan up too and including the great war. Looking at the gargoyle design again it does not appear to be great war. Possibly something to do with the Talbot family. 

Just my musing on this. 

Thanks for all your comments.  I'm only aware of the one online and one other found in Swansea.  Mine was recovered from a farm near Llangenith on N Gower.

I don't know anything abouth them but at least two were found in Swansea area.

Don't know if this helps, but closer inspection shows this ring's colour originally to have been dark green (it's paint/enamel not copper corrosion as I first thought.

The one for sale online looks like it's been re-plated more recently.

Regards

Huw

Ring 1.jpg

Ring 2.jpg

1 hour ago, Jenko said:

No I always thought a Glamorgan Yeomanry ring, but absolutely no concrete evidence, mine was bought in the northwest England 

Cheers Jenko(212 got to have a number with a surname Jenkins?) is good to know. There must be more rings out there. Please keep posting.