Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thomas Munn - RND

Swally

Hi Guys,

I 'm looking for your help again.

Thomas Munn RND is noted on the Larkhall War Memorial, Scotland.  Can anyone find any details of him?

Thomas was born 1896 in Larkhall, son of Thomas & Agnes, brother of Maggie (1887), Robert (1889) and James (1891), resided at 88 Meadowhill Rows, Dalserf, Lanarkshire, according to the 1901 Scottish Census.

Regards,

Swally

seaJane has spotted the most likely candidate. This man served in Hood Battalion, His RNVR/RND enlistment papers and original RNR record are at the Fleet Air Arm Museum. However, he was not a casualty - he claimed his medals post-war.

52 minutes ago, horatio2 said:

seaJane has spotted the most likely candidate. This man served in Hood Battalion, His RNVR/RND enlistment papers and original RNR record are at the Fleet Air Arm Museum. However, he was not a casualty - he claimed his medals post-war.

He received a Star (14-15), BWM and Victory Medal (RNVR Medal Register - FMP).

In the 1911 Census there is a family (presumably) living in Larkhall: Thomas (50), Agnes (47), Robert (21), James (19), Thomas (15). (scotlandspeople index)

Robert Munn, 1 KOSB survived the sinking of the Royal Edward in 1915. (Father then living at 88 Meadowhill, Larkhall (Scotsman 1 September 1915 - FMP).

RM

Thanks Guys,

Robert Munn was the brother of Thomas.  If indeed Thomas did survive the war, he didn't die in Scotland, I can find no record of his death up to 1980.  I would have thought, to have been included on the War Memorial, he would have died prior to 1922. I can't find a suitable match on CWGC web site either.

Thanks,

Swally 

12 minutes ago, Swally said:

Thanks Guys,

Robert Munn was the brother of Thomas.  If indeed Thomas did survive the war, he didn't die in Scotland, I can find no record of his death up to 1980.  I would have thought, to have been included on the War Memorial, he would have died prior to 1922. I can't find a suitable match on CWGC web site either.

Thanks,

Swally 

Have they by any chance got the wrong brother? Robert Munn, 7659, Pte., 1 KOSB was killed in action on 23 November 1917, the gratuity was allocated to his father, Thomas (CWGC & Registers of Soldiers' Effects - ancestry)

RM

Rolt, no, his brother is mentioned on the War Memorial too.

I think this one may have me stumped.

Thanks,

Swally