Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sjack91

Would just like to say a huge thanks to all those who helped and contributed to such a special few days in Israel. The purpose of the trip was to see the Scotland national team play Israel at football (the less said about the match the better), however to take in so many WW1 sites was really the pinnacle of the trip. Special thanks goes to  Assaf who conducted a fantastic tour of Nebi Samwill. A tour packed with such information and he really does know that site like the back of his hand. An amazing few days and thanks again to all who helped.

Stuart

IMG_0140.JPG

IMG_0152.JPG

IMG_0166.JPG

IMG_0190.JPG

IMG_0196.JPG

IMG_0202.JPG

IMG_0207.JPG

IMG_0214.JPG

IMG_0223.JPG

IMG_0253.JPG

IMG_0261.JPG

IMG_0265.JPG

10 hours ago, Sjack91 said:

Would just like to say a huge thanks to all those who helped and contributed to such a special few days in Israel. The purpose of the trip was to see the Scotland national team play Israel at football (the less said about the match the better), however to take in so many WW1 sites was really the pinnacle of the trip. Special thanks goes to  Assaf who conducted a fantastic tour of Nebi Samwill. A tour packed with such information and he really does know that site like the back of his hand. An amazing few days and thanks again to all who helped.

Stuart

IMG_0152.JPG

Great photos. I wonder the story behind that statue of Ottoman officer POW(?) and Australian LH soldier.

Thanks for sharing.

you can tell that i hate being photographed. it was nice meeting you guys :)

Mate,

I was wondering about the Grave of the Ottoman officer (Youbashi Shedid Efendi) or Yuzbashi (captain) .

What cemetery is this?

If he died 2 Oct 1918 then he must have been a PoW some where, as the Ottoman Army was in retreat passed Damascus heading for the Border.

Cheers

S.B

Edited by stevebecker

it is in the jerusalem cemetary as far as i recall.

Steve,

Yes, there's a whole line of Ottoman and German graves at Mt. Scopus (Jerusalem War Cemetery). 

These people died as POW's in Military medical facilities from wounds or disease. As far as I know

- enemy's dead were not brought from battlefields to British Commonwealth cemeteries. 

Eran

Steve 

i was stunned to see the Ottoman grave as this was the first time I had seen this. (missed them last time I was there) In total there are three at Jerusalem cemetery. As Eran highlighted they are in a row along with around 15 German graves. Just one of a number of things that I never expected to see. 

Assaf i really am so thankful for the tour. It was excellent. Alistair also passes on his thanks and best wishes.

stuart

it was my pleasure, send my regards to Alistair.

Edited by assafx
fat fingers and a smartphone keyboard

Mates,

I just tried to see who the Germans were buried at German graves at Mt. Scopus, but no luck?

Do you have any details on these men buried here?

Cheers

S.B

Steve, 

I'll visit there again in a few days and take photos.

Konda

19 hours ago, KONDOA said:

I see you visited Beersheba, if I had known I would have said hello as I am camped here at the moment.

As I wrote before - contact me if you need anything.

Eran

Edited by Eran Tearosh

Steve

i think there are three Italian graves in there also. We couldn't find them and unsure as to how they ended up there.

Stuart

On 16 October 2018 at 14:12, Eran Tearosh said:

Steve, 

I'll visit there again in a few days and take photos.

Konda

As I wrote before - contact me if you need anything.

Eran

Thank you Eran, appreciated.

Roop