Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
midsm

Cameronian?

midsm

My great uncle, George Sutherland of Scotland, enlisted early (born 1902 and supposedly lied about his age so he could serve) and from what my mother recalls, served in India in the early 1900's. The only thing we have to possibly identify his regiment is a photo taken by Narain Photographer in Quetta (photo attached). We have no service number, etc. I've been told that it appears that the helmet is a Wolsey but the uniform appears to be an unknown dress uniform. Any help identifying his regiment and possibly the time period would be greatly appreciated.

George Sutherland 1920 (age 16-18yrs. - India) (391 x 600).jpg

HERITAGE PLUS

The 1st Battalion Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) served in India 1894-1909 and the wearing of tartan trews would fit this Regiment.

There is a Medal Index Card for 7894 George Sutherland who served with the Cameronians in France from 1915 and later transferred to the Labour Corps with SN 605962.

Dave

Edited by HERITAGE PLUS
Typo correction

ajsmith

Look on the back as the companies who produced the card stock often used some from of date coding, it might give you an approximate date.

Steven Broomfield

He appears also to have black buttons and dark badges which would indicate a rifle unit, so Cameronians looks good.

Ron Abbott

The trews are clearly Douglas tartan which again says Cameronians (Scottish Rifles).  

sbrown

There's a 3234193 (49902) Rfn G. Sutherland on the GSM Kurdistan roll for the 2nd Batt'n The Cameronians, given his date of birth I think this could be you're Great uncle, this also ties in with the Quetta photographer. The roll is dated 20th April 1925 Quetta.

Hope this helps.

Stevie.