Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

46 Squadron reunion 1937

john-g

Hi,

I came across this photograph of the 20 reunion Dinner on the 20 March 1937 at the May Fair Hotel.  The Original is 17.1/2 x 8.1/2 inches, and of course the image is much better than I can provide here.

The one person who stands out is a young John Mills, father of Haley, although I have no reason to think he was in the RFC or RAF, so I assume he was a guest speaker or something similar.

I would like to try and identify any of the other guest. The chap at the top end of the middle row that mills is seated where it joins the top table , 11th person from the front of this row is Charles Henry ffrench Nobbs, ex 66 Squadron., second back from Nobbs, is Cecil Marchant who also served with 66 Squadron in ww1. Any help identifying  the others is appreciated much appreciated.46Sqnreunion.jpg.2ba76f421d654b641a16fd3249604a80.jpg

While l cant see John Mills in the photo, still in his " cockney phrase " as an actor , l can explain his association with No 46.

His brother in law was an ex RFC pilot in a FE2 squadron who became an actor/entertainer  so was invited to speak at functions like this.

l believe 46 liked him so much they made him an honorary member. Now wouldn't it be impressive if l could remember his name or his stage name?

Im sure someone will provide the identity and reveal the wife's claim to fame.;)

It looks like John Mills is fourth from the left in the row nearest to the camera.

Gareth

Edited by Dolphin

The Mills family at one time lived at the top of Richmond Hill, just down from the Star and Garter Home for injured for injured men in WW1. Haley Mills was his daughter.

John g

I can identify one person. The second one down from this end of the middle row is Captain N H "Normie" Dimmock AFC - my father.

The Mills connection is complicated.  See the other ongoing thread by "daggers" re CL Roberts. Roberts was in the RFC but became a POW.  In captivity he became friends with another POW, Ernest Marchant, the brother of Cecil "Chaps" Marchant.   "Chaps" was instrumental in organising the annual reunion dinners of No. 46 Squadron RFC, which still continue to this day (just had the 101st!).  Chaps invited his brother Ernest to the dinners, and Ernest brought his friend "Bobby" Roberts.  Roberts after the war became a professional dancer with the stage name of Robert Sielle and his partner was Annette Mills, sister of John Mills.  So John was also invited as a guest.

I told you it was complicated!

14 minutes ago, Dims son said:

Roberts after the war became a professional dancer with the stage name of Robert Sielle and his partner was Annette Mills, sister of John Mills.  

Annette Mills (Edith Mabel Mills 1894-1955) and Robert Sielle (Cecil Leon Roberts 1895-1983}:

https://www.npg.org.uk/collections/search/portrait/mw249437/Annette-Mills-Robert-Sielle-Cecil-Leon-Roberts

Robert Sielle:

https://www.npg.org.uk/research/conservation/directory-of-british-framemakers/s/

Annette Mills:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annette_Mills

JP

Hello John

My name is Group Captain Dougie Barr and I am the Secretary of the No 46 Squadron RFC & RAF Association. Our website: 46squadron.org has a wealth of Reunion pictures but not this one. Is there any chance that we could a good quality copy of the 1937 Reunion to include in our scrapbook and website. My email is dougiebarr@gmail.com and my telephone number is 01491 614204.

Cheers

Dougie

11 minutes ago, Dougie46 said:

Group Captain Dougie Barr

Welcome to the forum,

May I suggest you delete your personal email and phone from this page to avoid getting unneccesary spam? The photo holder can contact you through your assoc web site.

Charlie

Edited by charlie962

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 13:52, charlie962 said:

Is this recent thread a coincidence ?

Yes don't l wish ld seen that thread first.

Roberts other claim to fame is that he shared a victory with  Albert Ball in 1916.

His wife's claim to fame is that she presented the TV programme Muffin the Mule . BMT{before my time!]

• 4 months later...

Hi Everyone 

my sister kindly sent me this thread which I read with great interest. My grandfather was Ernest Marchant and Cecil my great uncle. My dad Andrew also went to a number of reunion dinners as a guest . His recollections of the events are shall we say, diplomatically, rather hilarious. Although father has now passed on a similar photo still hangs in his study. I have a laboriously typed invitation signed by Cecil somewhere which I am happy to copy to any collector of memorabilia.

lest we forget.

best Marcus 

Great Uncle Cecil Marchant, 2nd Lt RFC MC (pls correct me if this is the wrong description). A greatly revered ancestor. Normie Dimmock was mentioned often by my Dad, Andrew and I am sure he came to The Cottage, Olney with Cecil and a few others when I was knee-high. Also photo of Ernest circa 1917. I think it is him Front Row 7th from left to right. 

CJM MC RFC @ 1918.jpeg

46 Squadron Reunion Invite 22021921.jpg

EWM.jpg

1 hour ago, Custard said:

Great Uncle Cecil Marchant, 2nd Lt RFC MC (pls correct me if this is the wrong description)….

CJM MC RFC @ 1918.jpeg

That picture can only have been taken within a span of a few of months in 1918 as he wears the earliest form of RAF uniform in khaki that was introduced in April. The two bars either side of his cap badge denote Captains rank, and were swiftly done away with, and the buttons show the rope border that was also soon removed. The jacket is probably an earlier pattern somewhat upgraded to the newer RAF pattern since it sports epaulettes which the RAF pattern technically shouldn't have.

Edited by Andrew Upton

Thanks v much Andrew-appreciated. 
Cecil was promoted to T./Capt at the time or thereabouts of his award of the MC. Excerpt from the London Gazette.

I see Dougie is in this thread. Hi Dougie from Perth WA now. Best Marcus

CJM MC Citation

Military Cross (MC)

T./Capt. Cecil James Merchant, Gen. List and R.F.C.

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. He, with two other pilots of his squadron, bombed a freight train from a height of 50 feet, three trucks being derailed. Again, on a later occasion he, with five other pilots, bombed and fired at a column of enemy transport with such good effect that three-quarters of the personnel became casualties and most of the vehicles were destroyed. Whilst on a low bombing reconnaissance during the recent operations he brought down two hostile two-seater machines out of control and shot down a third in flames. He has at all times displayed marked gallantry and resource.

Supplement to the London Gazette, 22 June 1918 (30761/7418)

Don't know what happened below! Techretard me.

image.png