Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

john-g

46 Squadron reunion 1937

john-g

Hi,

I came across this photograph of the 20 reunion Dinner on the 20 March 1937 at the May Fair Hotel.  The Original is 17.1/2 x 8.1/2 inches, and of course the image is much better than I can provide here.

The one person who stands out is a young John Mills, father of Haley, although I have no reason to think he was in the RFC or RAF, so I assume he was a guest speaker or something similar.

I would like to try and identify any of the other guest. The chap at the top end of the middle row that mills is seated where it joins the top table , 11th person from the front of this row is Charles Henry ffrench Nobbs, ex 66 Squadron., second back from Nobbs, is Cecil Marchant who also served with 66 Squadron in ww1. Any help identifying  the others is appreciated much appreciated.46Sqnreunion.jpg.2ba76f421d654b641a16fd3249604a80.jpg

nils d

While l cant see John Mills in the photo, still in his " cockney phrase " as an actor , l can explain his association with No 46.

His brother in law was an ex RFC pilot in a FE2 squadron who became an actor/entertainer  so was invited to speak at functions like this.

l believe 46 liked him so much they made him an honorary member. Now wouldn't it be impressive if l could remember his name or his stage name?

Im sure someone will provide the identity and reveal the wife's claim to fame.;)

Dolphin

It looks like John Mills is fourth from the left in the row nearest to the camera.

Gareth

Edited by Dolphin

daggers

As the starter of the other post I can confirm it is just coincidence.

D

john-g

The Mills family at one time lived at the top of Richmond Hill, just down from the Star and Garter Home for injured for injured men in WW1. Haley Mills was his daughter.

John g

Dims son

I can identify one person. The second one down from this end of the middle row is Captain N H "Normie" Dimmock AFC - my father.

The Mills connection is complicated.  See the other ongoing thread by "daggers" re CL Roberts. Roberts was in the RFC but became a POW.  In captivity he became friends with another POW, Ernest Marchant, the brother of Cecil "Chaps" Marchant.   "Chaps" was instrumental in organising the annual reunion dinners of No. 46 Squadron RFC, which still continue to this day (just had the 101st!).  Chaps invited his brother Ernest to the dinners, and Ernest brought his friend "Bobby" Roberts.  Roberts after the war became a professional dancer with the stage name of Robert Sielle and his partner was Annette Mills, sister of John Mills.  So John was also invited as a guest.

I told you it was complicated!

charlie962

Fascinating!

helpjpl
14 minutes ago, Dims son said:

Roberts after the war became a professional dancer with the stage name of Robert Sielle and his partner was Annette Mills, sister of John Mills.  

Annette Mills (Edith Mabel Mills 1894-1955) and Robert Sielle (Cecil Leon Roberts 1895-1983}:

https://www.npg.org.uk/collections/search/portrait/mw249437/Annette-Mills-Robert-Sielle-Cecil-Leon-Roberts

Robert Sielle:

https://www.npg.org.uk/research/conservation/directory-of-british-framemakers/s/

Annette Mills:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annette_Mills

JP

Dougie46

Hello John

My name is Group Captain Dougie Barr and I am the Secretary of the No 46 Squadron RFC & RAF Association. Our website: 46squadron.org has a wealth of Reunion pictures but not this one. Is there any chance that we could a good quality copy of the 1937 Reunion to include in our scrapbook and website. My email is dougiebarr@gmail.com and my telephone number is 01491 614204.

Cheers

Dougie

charlie962
11 minutes ago, Dougie46 said:

Group Captain Dougie Barr

Welcome to the forum,

May I suggest you delete your personal email and phone from this page to avoid getting unneccesary spam? The photo holder can contact you through your assoc web site.

Charlie

Edited by charlie962