Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Trev

Sjt Joseph Hawkins MM 70 Bde RFA

Trev

Hi, I’m trying to get a citation or at least some idea of how my relative gained his MM. His service number was 22718 and he was from Dalkeith Midlothian.

Joseph survived the war but never spoke of his experiences. We have his medals but no idea how the MM was gained.

any pointers on what I can do beyond his medal card and service record which I have. Service record shows the award, even has an entry for absent without leave! But no citation.

any help would be much appreciated

B81044CB-DEC5-4C23-86FC-B3A815C4E00C.jpeg

6A908053-F4B0-45B2-91B6-A60F079DB60F.jpeg

555924CF-BA3F-43A6-A1F8-1245B592DBB1.png

Trev

Just found this. Does anyone know if the first date is the date the medal was earned? 

AC17EA9F-4FCE-4859-A1D4-C651D74C5416.jpeg

Langdon

Military Medals were awarded for 'acts of gallantry and devotion to duty under fire' and often with no specific action in mind. The August date sounds right as it is almost 3 months before the Gazette date which is generally the time lapse. Unfortunately the war diaries for the months of July, August and September are missing - see here - so it's not possible to check if your man is mentioned. I did see the entry for 1st June which showed Major-General McCracken O/C 15th Division distributing MM's - but with no names given....

Mike

brianmorris547

Trev

The War Diary for the Commander RA 15 Scottish Division records that Major General McCracken presented DCMs to NCOs and men of 71 Brigade and the Div Ammunition Column on 01/06/1917 and DCMs to 70 Brigade on 02/06/1917. Your man is however named in the Routine Orders of Major General H F Thuillier dated 09/09/1917. He took over command of 15 Div. from General McCracken.

If you have Ancestry.co.uk you can see the record in UK War Diaries France, Belgium and Germany. Go to the Browse box and select Divisional HQ General Staff - 15 Division- Piece 1918/1-4 Adjutant and Quarter-Master General. He is named as 22718 Sgt J S Hawkins under para 1056 Honours and Rewards, Military Medals. (Ancestry page 72/684).

There are four other Gunners named in the same block who might have service records which will narrow down the date but your best chance of finding out the circumstances of his Award will be a report in the local papers. The London Gazette Edition 30364 page 11334 (and the Edinburgh Gazette 13163 p 2306) show that his nok was Edinburgh.

The A&QMG Routine Orders contain many names from various Scottish Regiments for this period who were decorated.

Brian 

Trev

Thanks for your help gents. I’m going along the right lines. Such a shame the few months of war diary I need are missing! Feel lucky to have found his service record in tact though and not amongst those destroyed in the blitz. 

Will start looking at his local newspapers now, to see if there is any mention.