The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Ballads of the Great War - new songs on folk lines

seaJane

https://www.bbc.co.uk/events/e8zcd4

19:50 Fri 9 Nov 2018 MediaCityUK, Salford

Book tickets for the event on the link.

Applications open 22 - 28 October

This will be broadcast live on Friday Night is Music Night (BBC Radio 2). Big drawback for me is that the presenter is Michael Morpurgo who frankly makes me twinge (cross between twitch and cringe). His writing is very clever in some ways but also manipulative and judgmental.

Thanks for the heads up on that, I'll make a point of listening to it.  I have to say I have never read/seen anything by Michael Morpurgo, so awaiting the effect with interest!

oh, if that's the case then you may have no trouble! Bob Fox and John Tams are a couple of my favourite singers.

2 hours ago, seaJane said:

oh, if that's the case then you may have no trouble! Bob Fox and John Tams are a couple of my favourite singers.

John Tams also a great favourite with me - have followed him from the Albion Band and the NT Mysteries in the 1970's, through his Daniel Hagman - one of the redeeming features of Sharpe - to his recent work on War Horse, Help For Heroes etc.  Thoroughly good egg!

Indeed! He and Barry Coope come to round our way now and then and he's always kind enough to stop and talk. And ohh my lord The Mysteries, I adored them... (though I didn't get to see them until the 1985/6 Lyceum revival).

Edited by seaJane

I like John Tams' expanded version of the Devonshire Carol from the stage version of War Horse, morphing the country song into a Great War setting, and then adding 'Stand To, Me bonny Lads'.  I only recently realised that there's a rather longer version of the latter song.  Both on YouTube, together with yet another of his about Mons. 

I agree about the drawback of the performance.  Man with an agenda, which mere historical facts are not permitted to get in the way of. 

I have Bob Fox's CD of his performance of the War Horse songs, which features those long versions of The Devonshire Carol  and Stand To, Me Bonny Lads. The second I find particularly affecting.

5 hours ago, clive_hughes said:

Man with an agenda, which mere historical facts are not permitted to get in the way of. 

My thoughts precisely.

I've not read anything by Morpurgo in its original text.  War Horse, the performance experience, was wonderful; the film of Private Peaceful: yep - loaded with agenda and way too simplistic, but whether the original text is like that I cannot comment.

I do agree, saw the WH play in London and was very impressed.  The film version was a different kettle of fish; but in fairness to the author, the director had his own view on how things should appear; which skewed things somewhat.  

4 hours ago, MBrockway said:

I've not read anything by Morpurgo in its original text.  War Horse, the performance experience, was wonderful; the film of Private Peaceful: yep - loaded with agenda and way too simplistic, but whether the original text is like that I cannot comment.

And more so, as well as playing a particularly manipulative narrative trick on the reader which was only there for the purpose of being "clever" and manipulative rather than adding anything to the story.  That was what I thought, anyway.

SJ

You hit  Morpurgo dead on target. The man is a simplistic agenda writer whose target is children. Of his works only the Private Praceful book hits anywhere near my target. As for the melodrama Warhorse - boy gets horse, boy looses horse, boy gets horse back - I sat through the play (an unwanted birthday present) absorbed by the puppetry, bored off my baackside  by the play and unamused by a black actor playing a German officer. 

Edited by David Filsell

I do have to say that none of the above posts are giving me much incentive to read anything by Mr Morpurgo, and I'm feeling a certain amount of apprehension about the radio broadcast!

Oh, the singing'll be well up to standard :)

2 hours ago, David Filsell said:

a Warhorse - boy gets horse, boy looses horse, boy gets horse back -

Described to me as Black Beauty with added warfare.

23 hours ago, seaJane said:

Oh, the singing'll be well up to standard :)

Described to me as Black Beauty with added warfare.

Was the part played by that particular nag in the charge of the light brigade not in the original book then? I wouldn't know, I've never read it.

Mike

The old horse Captain reminisces about the Charge, but it takes place before the action of the book.

1 hour ago, seaJane said:

The old horse Captain reminisces about the Charge, but it takes place before the action of the book.

Thanks for that. I think I half remember a film version or TV adaptation where the story must have deviated from the original.

Mike

I would not be at all surprised to hear that :)