Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Play of 'Journey's End' in Ypres

suesalter1

Went to see the first performance of the play 'Journey's End' last night. It's being performed at the Kruitmagazijn (old gunpowder store), which is near the station, until the 12th November. I can thoroughly recommend seeing it if anyone is in Ypres during that time. Very talented young cast in an atmospheric and realistic setting. Only small venue and in the round.

Sue.

thanks for the review... I booked my ticket for the 25th this month yesterday!!!

M.

• 2 weeks later...

We were booked to see it on the first evening of our battlefields tour but unfortunately were caught up in traffic chaos around Lille due to a multi-vehicle pile up on the A16. We reached our hotel  in Ypres hours late, after the performance had started. We tried to alert the theatre but couldn't find a telephone number on our booking details. As we were 50 of the audience I hope that they didn't have to play in front of rows of empty seats. We are bitterly disappointed to miss it. 

Edited by Mark Hone

I'm going to see it on Armistice night - I may need to think very carefully about where and when I try to park in Ypres. At least it is the other side of the city from the Menin Gate

Well I went yesterday and it is absolutely BRILLIANT !!! 

Fantastic actors, very good setting, being in the ound like that, you're so close to the action!!

one woman on the other side nearly got hit by a helmet going flying... 

A great night!!! 

Alan, there's a parking just outside the Kruidmagazijn. 

And if that's full, on the other side of the road next to the station there's a big parking zone for free. 

Marilyne

Edited by Marilyne

Thanks Marilyne - just a little wary of being anywhere near Ypres on the 11th!

It was very good.  It really draws you in.  Being so close to the action you get to see every movement on the actors’ faces.  There were children in the audience, of which I counted at least 4 who were finding it loud/emotional/frightening/something else (I can only presume their feelings as I wasn’t actually privvy to their conversations) as they were comforted by their accompanying parent/guardian.

i did find the comment from the american lady behind me very amusing when, during the interval, she enthusiastically told her companion how good the play was, as it was “very true to the film” :lol: