Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lieutenant A.G.Owen Northumberland Fus

Noor

Hi all,

I am hoping to research more Lieutenant Alexander Glendwor Owen, Northumberland Fusiliers (SR) service and personal life.

Somehow Findmypast and Ancestry don't show much.

I can see he served first with the 9 Lancers (GS/23488). Served in France from 20th November 1916. He was commissioned 28 August 1917 into the Northumberland Fusiliers.

Straight after the war he served in the military Mission in South Russia from 1st March 1920 until 21st October 1920. Like I understand this mission was under the Brigadier-General J.S.Percy, CB, CMG, DSO. Lieutenant Owen also received an Imperial Russian St.Stanislaus order 3rd Class with swords. 

Next thing only what I can see is thst he passes away in Bournmouth area 1978 December.

Any help with his service, especially in Russia would be great. Also what was his profession or what he did afterwards would be interesting to know.

Thanking you in advance.

Hi Noor,

It looks like he may have been originally commissioned in to the 3rd Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers, and had the post war admin number of P/150414.

image.png.a5ab43e95c188621d72d11cec3390c88.png

image.png.28dc5e67a03670c7a8381e05e5096f01.png

Images sourced from The National Archives - file WO 338/14/20

That would place him as this man, whose file is with the MoD

image.png.9b89abe4f11b03845d32cce84c3040d3.png

There is a helpdesk phone number here.

Regards

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thank you so much. Is it not the case that MoD only provides materials to the relatives?

Thank you again

Hi,

1 hour ago, Noor said:

Is it not the case that MoD only provides materials to the relatives?

The honest answer is that I don't know for sure, as I've never tried. However, I think that the information on the website strongly suggests that it's not the case. The issue appears to revolve around the 25 year period after the death. Without next of kin consent, before that time it seems to read that they would make a more limited disclosure than after it. So if he died in 1978, I presume that there would not be an issue. The helpdesk should be able to give you an answer. The other thing to check would be whether you would need to provide a copy death certificate. The information on the website says that you do, but there have been posts on the forum in the past which have said that because the man was born over 110(?) years ago, the MoD waive that requirement.

Regards

Chris

Thanks Chris. I see what is possible to do.

Now, like I understand he was sent to South Russia without the rest of the unit. Where they used there as instructors or they engaged Bolsheviks as well in action?

Hi all,

Almost a week now I have tried to find out extra information of him without any luck. Looks like he vanished after the war and don't appear any sources available on Ancestry or FMP.

There is one A.G.Owen who's age could fit 1891+1 on passengers lists and who travelled to Malaysia as rubber planter. Perhaps he emigrated after the war and wasn't in England at all? Is there any way to confirm it? If some of you help me back on track then that would be great.

Thanks!