Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Airman observer S Hinks

Hi im new to the Forum, i collect WW1 Medals. i have just picked up a WW1 BWM & Victory to a 36250 1 AM S Hinks with 4 RFC Titles and 2 observer half wings and a propeller bose clock with the following inscription on it: CENTRE OF PROPELLER TAKEN FROM A RECAPTURED BRITISH MACHINE BROUGHT DOWN ON THE YPRES FRONT BY LIEUT. CODY AND OBSERVER S. HINKS 25/1/17"

I have done some research but have hit a bit of a brick wall, was it common for other ranks (airman first class) to act as observers? He appears to have been court martialled in 1917 and served with 41 SQN RFC. The Lieut Cody on the clock appears to have been killed later on in 1917.  Have looked on ancestry and the web but there is little information to go on. any pointers or help would be much appricated cheers Al

I don't think it was uncommon for ground crew to fly as observers in cases where simple gunnery rather than observer's skills might be required.  There was a financial incentive to volunteer (the flying pay was good compared to an AM's usual wage) and I think I'm right in saying that James McCudden started flying as an observer in between his duties as a mechanic.

1 hour ago, DavidOwen said:

Welcome to the Forum

Strange this was recently discussed here, might be of use to see this thread

David

Sounds more like the brain pickers have struck again...

Edited by Andrew Upton

On 11/10/2018 at 18:11, Andrew Upton said:

Sounds more like the brain pickers have struck again...

Andrew only asked for help as could not find anything when i did a search online. Since then ive found his service sheet which matches where the medals etc came from plus the photographs that came with them. i bought them from the original "brain picker" who used it for gain when he sold them to me

cheers al

2 hours ago, Albert924 said:

... i bought them from the original "brain picker" who used it for gain when he sold them to me...

That was my point I'm afraid - it's not the first time this forum has been approached for information on something only for the same to reappear on Ebay or similar shortly after...