Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Date for issue of medal ribbons (trio/pair)

daggers

I am trying to date a group photo where officers are wearing MC ribbons but no others.  All would become entitled to at least a 'pair', but when did the ribbons become available please?

D

Dear daggers,

This NAM 1962-04-17-1 photograph attached, shows Indian Army officers of 2/94th Russell's Infantry at Rawalpindi, in 1919.

As you can see, the Comd. Offr. has his BWM and Victory ribbons up. But what of the others? Three have the 1914 Star ribbon up; one the 1914 Star and BWM (but no Victory!). Finally, one (whom I have failed to identify: perhaps a GWF aficionado can?) has only his MC ribbon. 

Perhaps this is some sort of guideline for your question...?

Kindest regards,

Kim.1463453205_Offrs2-94RussellsInfantry1919.jpg.5581405a9bd731a170eea7a7a54c07da.jpg 

Hi,

This link from Forces War Records gives a date for the introduction of each of the Campaign Medals. One would expect the ribbon to be available shortly after the introduction date but as I’m sure you are aware the medals wouldn’t be issued to demobilised personnel before 1921/22.

it might be more difficult to pin down the actual date the medal ribbon was issued to serving personnel in any particular unit.

Steve

https://www.forces-war-records.co.uk/medals

Edited by tullybrone

• Admin

To follow on from the above post from Steve.

1914 Star riband approved 10 December 1917

14-15 Star  approved November 1918, riband as 1914 Star

British War Medal riband approved April 1919, not to be worn or issued until authorised by the War Office. 

First 250 miles of riband issued 4 August 1919

Preliminary issue Victory Medal riband announced December 24 1919 (applicants for BWM need not apply!).

Men in the field were given priority for the issue of the Star riband (and medal ) but there were production difficulties given other wartime demands.  As for individual men/units all you can say with certainty BWM riband was not legitimately worn before the 4 August 1919.

Gratuitous fascinating fact:-

By January 1922 7 million medals had been  issued, and by April the following year 14 million, when it was announced the total length of ribbon manufactured for all medals was 1,800 miles.

Ken

Edited by kenf48

Dear All,

That would date the Russell's Infantry officer group photo to late 1919, then - October, perhaps...

Incidentally, I hold the medals of the elderly-looking officer seated front row, far right (Sidney Boddy).

Kindest regards,

Kim.