Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

tony.vds

Shrouds of the Somme

hazelclark

Replied to your message Biffo.  Sorry to be so cryptic if that’s what it was.

H.C.

BIFFO
1 hour ago, Steven Broomfield said:

BIFFO: I assume you're on my side in this argument. At least sort of.

Steve no I didn't see the shrouds pity really as we are coming to Exeter visiting my wife's aunt start December, probably spend all my money at Topsham again,in this instance im behind you all the way that's in a manly way NOT like men with lipstick behind you all the way way ??

not wanting to start wwiii I thought the shrouds haunting ok maybe the place wasn't right but to see lots of names doesn't really convey much, even tho some of the men I have researched , when you go to a large cemetery it makes you think,once I went to cabin hill in a snow storm off the beaten track,saw how few were buried there all the headstones  Aussies  and thought of the poor bu+++ out there miles from home ,that brought it home to me, maybe the chap wanted you to get the impression of loss and stupidity of it all ,shrouds instead of headstones,in another post on the forum I don't really see how the war could have been avoided delayed a bit but would in my opinion still have happened. Some people rave about Harry Patch me I`lI will keep my powder dry but when I hear him say both sides sat at a table and worked it out, so why OH why couldn't they have done that before war started,nice Idea Harry but how can you talk to a fanatic ? 

better get me goat(well I am welsh) :w00t:

RaySearching
1 hour ago, Steven Broomfield said:

BIFFO: I assume you're on my side in this argument. At least sort of.

Argument ?

I thought this was a discussion  forum

Difference of opinion maybe

Jim Clay
1 hour ago, RaySearching said:

Argument ?

I thought this was a discussion  forum

Difference of opinion maybe

depaor01

This thread made me look up the LLT, curious as to the appropriateness and accuracy of the title of the work described. There were no shrouds at the Somme and elsewhere. What remained of the poor unfortunate was apparently scooped up into a canvas sheet if I understand correctly. 

I have no strong opinions about the artist or the work, but it seems to me historically inaccurate. 

Dave