Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Shrouds of the Somme

tony.vds

"All profits from the Shrouds will be donated to SSAFA the armed forces charity and the Commonwealth War Graves Foundation" it says here (the shrouds website).  I take this at face value and have naught to add ...

Squirrel, I did think the Tower Poppies were a great idea but preferably as a “one of”. The Passchendaele Poppy which I bought was a bit different.  It was made from old shell casings and the middle was made from soil gathered around Ypres. Many people would likely find that “mawkish” but somehow, for me personally, living here and being unable to visit the battlefields it was worth having in memory of my grandfather and great uncles.

Chacun a son gout I guess.

Hazel

Edited by hazelclark

I saw the "Tower" poppies at Lincoln Castle. Probably the best Remembrance display I have seen - just the poppies, no words, music just the poppies. There are some items on sale, with the relevant donations to Service Charities, that are meaningful, The Passchendaele Poppy being one of them as is the "There but not there" figures from the RBL factory and other items too, a couple of which I have bought after checking whether there is a donation included and where it is going.

3 hours ago, Gareth Davies said:

I haven't but in one of the photographs of them that I saw online there were definitely people looking at them ;-)

Sorry - I was wondering whether anyone in this thread had actually seen them.

I know. I had an extreme attack of pedantry. Sorry.

Feel free.

It just seems to me another of those issues on which everyone has a view, yet no-one has actually seen. I agree they are mawkish, but they were rather moving in the flesh, and were certainly attracting a lot of attention in Exeter on an extremely hot summer's day.

Might it be useful to contrast this 'commemorative artwork' with the Canadian event on Vimy Ridge in 2017, where I believe the dead/missing were represented by ranks of empty boots?  

11 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Sorry - I was wondering whether anyone in this thread had actually seen them.

I saw them at Thiepval last week. Attention seeking nonsense. We have a memorial there which is perfectly adequate. No need for an "artist's" dolls.

1 hour ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Feel free.

It just seems to me another of those issues on which everyone has a view, yet no-one has actually seen. I agree they are mawkish, but they were rather moving in the flesh, and were certainly attracting a lot of attention in Exeter on an extremely hot summer's day.

15 minutes ago, Ken Lees said:

I saw them at Thiepval last week. Attention seeking nonsense. We have a memorial there which is perfectly adequate. No need for an "artist's" dolls.

I like Ken have seen them at Thiepval and will see them a further 5 times in the coming 2 weeks.  They are under the shadow of 72000 names. What on earth do the dolls add to that great monument?

1 hour ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Feel free.

I am sure I'm not alone on not restricting my views and opinions only to those things I have actually seen.

2 hours ago, Ken Lees said:

I am sure I'm not alone on not restricting my views and opinions only to those things I have actually seen.

Indeed. Others seem less troubled.

We're all entitled to our views (and I must say that Thiepval down't sound suitable in any way at all).

I remember being told many years ago that I had to right to criticise Apartheid as I had never been to South Africa. I wasn't at Buchenwald either was the gist of my reply. Comment based on absolute ignorance is surely unreasonable.

On 11/10/2018 at 13:46, tony.vds said:

Am I the only one to find this project quite disturbing?

No

1 hour ago, keithmroberts said:

I remember being told many years ago that I had to right to criticise Apartheid as I had never been to South Africa. I wasn't at Buchenwald either was the gist of my reply. Comment based on absolute ignorance is surely unreasonable.

I don't disagree, but surely experiencing Apartheid gave you a better opportunity to criticse it? I'm not saying not seeing something doesn't give a right to criticise, but my point was that pretty well everyone criticising it hadn't seen it (with the exception of Mr Lees). I, too, was happy to criticise it until I saw it in Exeter, when I did amend my opinion somewhat.

As for Apartheid, when I did experience it, my opposition became greater.

I have no intention of seeing the shrouds. I read the "blurb" when they were introduced two years ago and the "reasoning" behind the project and my opinions are based on that and the subsequent publicity.

A friend had some work on a well researched WW1 work sent to a publisher for hopefully having it published. The publisher stated that "people would rather read a first hand account than something from someone's imagination". The retort was, "I doubt that Tennyson was present at the Charge of the Light Brigade, Binyon had not been to the Western Front when he wrote "For the Fallen", nor had Sir Henry Newbolt when he wrote "A Letter From France".

43 minutes ago, squirrel said:

I have no intention of seeing the shrouds. I read the "blurb" when they were introduced two years ago and the "reasoning" behind the project and my opinions are based on that and the subsequent publicity.

A friend had some work on a well researched WW1 work sent to a publisher for hopefully having it published. The publisher stated that "people would rather read a first hand account than something from someone's imagination". The retort was, "I doubt that Tennyson was present at the Charge of the Light Brigade, Binyon had not been to the Western Front when he wrote "For the Fallen", nor had Sir Henry Newbolt when he wrote "A Letter From France".

And Shakespeare is unlikely to have witnessed the murder of Julius Caesar.

1 hour ago, sassenach said:

And Shakespeare is unlikely to have witnessed the murder of Julius Caesar.

Now that’s just silly. Haven’t you heard of “Minesterio del Tiempo”?

Hazel

On ‎14‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 07:39, hazelclark said:

However, I remember a thread about “posh poppies”so they may not be to everyone’s taste either.  Missed out on the Tower Poppies.

im the chappy who HATES POSH POPPIES,don't care what any one says they are not jewelry ,I swore I would never post re "posh poppies"again but Hazel you made me break my silence

As I understand it the chap who made the shrouds did it as therapy for PSTD,after serving in the forces,ok point taken about dolls but I was slated for not liking "posh poppies" by members who said they didn't care as long as money went to RBL,again as I understand it 

he's giving profits to SAFA or other service charity's, people tried to put me in my place(will never happen) so as far as im concerned 

hes a good old boy

I`ll get me coat,that's the one that will have an ordinary poppy as soon as they go on sale,it will go alongside my ordinary enamel one that I wear every day to show my support for service people past/present :thumbsup:

:poppy:

Point taken. You have your “enamel” one, and I have my tiny “Passchendaele” one which I consider quite tasteful.

Hazel

Wear it proudly Hazel as will I ,as I write im looking at my there not there figure,I also missed a tower poppy WHEN you see them for sale the price is silly last time I saw £300,pleased to say a well know auction site refused to have them on there site,so lots of people  who bought to sell had there fingers burnt ,hope they do the same for "shrouds"

:poppy:

thumbs up.png

Methinks, some would say there is a bit of a contradiction here  Biffo, but me not going there.

H

???????????????????

BIFFO: I assume you're on my side in this argument. At least sort of.