Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Barbed Wire Fence Post

Reg

Just on my way home from Perrone. Visited my namesake. I'll be posting details on the appropriate forum later.  

We visited the woods where he was wounded on the way back.  In there I found a metal stake. I'll post photos when I get home.  Can someone share pictures of original angle iron stakes,  please,  not the "picket" style. 

Many thanks

20181012_101348.jpg

20181012_101352.jpg

20181012_101401.jpg

Edited by Reg
Spelling and picture

Did you take any measurements? The earlier version of Post, wire, entanglement, Mark II from 1909 (List of Changes 14833 has a diagram (see attached.) The high version was only 5' 10 1/2" high.

19090. – Posts, wire, entanglement –

Angle steel –

High (Mark II.)                        6 feet.

Medium. (Mark II.)                 3 feet 6 inches.

Low (Mark II.)                         2 feet.

Holdfasts.                           1 foot 6 inches by ½ inch round iron for erecting in

concrete.

New patterns.

Patterns of the above-mentioned “Posts, wire, entanglement” have been approved to govern future supply. They differ from the previous mark (§18515) in the length of the high post being increased to 6 feet and the notching and holes on all three posts being standardized. The end for driving into the earth is tapered 4 ½ inches; the posts are notched, on both edges, at intervals of 6 inches, and holes 5/16 –inch diameter in line with the notches are punched in one side of the post only; the last hole, which is 1 ½ inches from square end of posts, will, however, be 17/32-inch diameter.

When existing stock of the previous mark are used up they will be regarded as obsolete.

5th July 1917.  57/24/3281

Chris Henschke

post wire entanglement Mk II diagram LoC 14833.jpg