Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German "Style" Ammunition pouches (maker?)

4thGordons

I just grabbed these without paying too much attention because they were cheap and appeared in excellent condition - on closer inspection I realize they do not have any attachment for straps so I assume they are not German or at least not of the standard WWI pattern? I assume numerous nations used this style of pouch given the global popularity of Mauser rifles and the influence of German equipment/styles.

Can anyone identify the maker and (if not German) the likely end user? The script looks very Germanic and appears to read R B N over a number

I can find no other markings. I wondered if they might perhaps be South American?

Colour difference is based on lighting - the browner / tan of the first two is the better representation of the real colour.

IMG_1422.jpg.c9f556375c787168c5f3c847189a57a5.jpg

IMG_1424.jpg.c0a9e14cc89627ee493d9442b08d01be.jpg

IMG_1428.jpg.6f41b473ccbcd9a7b2e43b34ab884e04.jpg

IMG_1425.jpg.b6496702b7b895403ee5c280c1640234.jpg

Hi Chris, these look like inferior copies of the German style 'patronentaschen' and were obviously made to do the same job (ie. hold Mauser ammunition clips) My guess is these are Turkish surplus pouches and so your end-user would be post-war Turkey, who as you know were longtime Mauser enthusiasts. There are plenty listed on the net under this description including at this address below.

https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1075

Have looked further into the "makers abbreviation" RBN and apparently these ARE German made, but more into the 3rd Reich period. They seem to have set up a numbering system for their equipment manufacturers for security purposes (so as not to give away names & addresses etc)

I guess similar to the British codes for the WW2 manufacturers of arms and components. Anyway this German system of RBN numbering was in the format x/xxxx/xxxx with the first number nearly always zero, the second block stating the town, and the third block listing the maker. 

So thats as far as I have got, you may be able to track down the maker and possible era of manufacture with some further research.

PS. These are probably still Turkish surplus, but just ex German military production in the first instance. 

So, following the RBN trail, from the numbers I can make out on your pouch above, the 0850 apparently indicates made in Munich.

On Wehrmacht Awards forum HERE there is a long thread which goes into some detail on these numbers. Word is there is A LIST.!

Thanks very much! The Turkish ones listed by Liberty Tree do look identical in construction etc. Thanks for the numbers list - perhaps something for the winter evenings...or maybe not!

As it appears these are post WWI by some distance I will lock this thread.

Thanks again.

Chris

• 4thGordons locked this topic