Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tracking down a wireless signals officer

Chris_Baker

Patrick Dunne

Commissioned in February 1917 after serving with the South Irish Horse and (as a Sapper) with the Royal Engineers

Has a very fragmented service record at the National Archives and it leaves a large gap in his story. Army List and London Gazette offer no clues regarding his postings. Can't find any mention of his that gives details of his postings.

He was serving with Number 1 Armoured Train when commissioned but was then posted to the Wireless Depot in France.

The trail then goes dead.

He is awarded the Military Cross in the New Year's Honours of 1918.

The next definite fact is that he joins 3rd Divisional Signal Company from 19th Divisional Signal Company on 9 April 1919.
After that his story is straightforward.
The war diary of 19th Divisional Signal Company (which ends in October 1918) is not good any naming names before that.
The diaries of 19th Divisional CRE and Adjutant are similarly unhelpful.

Any snippets of evidence could be valuable in filling in his story between early 1917 and early 1919.

Edited by Chris_Baker

• 1 year later...

Hi Chris, I'm attempting to track down a passel of wireless operators as detailed in this post:

Looks like these folks belonged to the RFC 53 squadron

On your search, was Patrick Dunne from Ireland? I would expect so with that moniker. Given my search turns up numerous men of the same name, do you have his regimental number?

Martin Nutty