Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Marilyne

Women buried on the Western Front - a complete overview

Marilyne

typo... so sorry... will immediately change it !!! 

Thank you for the correction! 

M.

ejwalshe

Forgive me, @Marilyne, this is a long thread and I did give it a try, but have you been to Wimereux Communal Cemetery?

I apologize as it is one of the more obvious CWGC cemeteries to discover women casualties of the Great War.

This is a great subject, and again I did not happen to see any comment about the other woman buried surreptitiously in Llijssenthoek (however, not a Great War casualty).

I think what may have been complicating your search is that many of the women are not listed by CWGC?   

Several exceptions all the time, like wives of soldiers, and other civilian casualties. 

"All the time", as in I have discovered many such graves by accident, and have had difficulty afterwards learning more.

Jim Strawbridge
10 hours ago, ejwalshe said:

This is a great subject, and again I did not happen to see any comment about the other woman buried surreptitiously in Llijssenthoek (however, not a Great War casualty).

I think what may have been complicating your search is that many of the women are not listed by CWGC?   

Several exceptions all the time, like wives of soldiers, and other civilian casualties. 

I should like to know the names of these "many" women, please.

Marilyne
20 hours ago, ejwalshe said:

Forgive me, @Marilyne, this is a long thread and I did give it a try, but have you been to Wimereux Communal Cemetery?

Hi. 

Thanks for your question.

I have not been to Wimereux yet... well, I have visited it in the past, but not within the framework of this research. I'm right now completing the research for Etaples and then will go on to the other coastal cemeteries, hoping to visit them earle next year and then go on with the posts. 

So yes, I'm asking all of you here a bit of patience before I get to have them all.

To come back to the question of the other woman in Lijssenthoek - and all the others - I think I have about 99% of the names, thanks to several sources and other threads on the forum. Of course all of them are those listed by the CWGC and I might stumble upon surprises, but that's what makes this project so interesting. Right now, I'm learning a lot, and I hope to be able to share these lessons with the Pals very soon. 

Can you point me to the grave of the civilian woman in Lijssenthoek?? 

M.

ejwalshe

I am not sure if the location AND identify is known.

The woman in question made an 'arrangement' with the gardener at Lijssenthoek before her death....to be buried in the same grave as her loved one.

Looking again for the original source....

EDIT:  Love the internet....did not find the original, but here is perhaps a better source:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/real-life-stories/mother-war-hero-granted-last-3300233

Edited by ejwalshe

Fattyowls

Thanks Ted, good find.

Pete.

Marilyne

Mouais... 

Not sure if I want to believe that story to 100% ... Picture is also wrong "George at the headstone" is standing at a flat, square shaped German headstone. 

But anyway, she falls outside my scope, as she did not die in action, on or near the battlefields. 

M.

Fattyowls
33 minutes ago, Marilyne said:

Picture is also wrong "George at the headstone" is standing at a flat, square shaped German headstone.

Good spot MM; looks like 'artistic licence' by the Mirror photographer. Curious.

Pete.

Marilyne
On ‎10‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 12:26, Jim Strawbridge said:

Sorry, her grave site is still unknown to me. Almost certainly it will be in Troyes, France but exactly where will need investigation through the mayor's office, locally, I would think.

Jim,

FOUND HER!!!

you were absolutely right… I sent a mail to Troyes, as promised, and was rewarded by a very succesfull answer:  Elizabeth Stevens still lies in the Communal Cemetery of Troyes, in a perpetual concession that was requested by the director of the French-british canteen where Elizabeth worked, Miss Bertha Dykes Spencer.

I've got the paperwork of the request and her death certificate. I'll post the details once I've translated the whole shebang for all the non French speakers and she is now part of my little list!

The one problem is that the grave is still there, but because it's in a very bad state, it's part of an abandonment procedure. I don't know if there's anything we can do… I've asked the conservator of the cemetery what the procedure is now. Maybe we can on our side track down family members??

M.

frev
5 hours ago, Marilyne said:

FOUND HER!!

The one problem is that the grave is still there, but because it's in a very bad state, it's part of an abandonment procedure. I don't know if there's anything we can do… I've asked the conservator of the cemetery what the procedure is now. Maybe we can on our side track down family members??

Great news Marilyne!

Ancestry has a Family Tree for her, so family members should be fairly easy to trace....

Best of luck, Frev

Jim Strawbridge
15 hours ago, Marilyne said:

Jim,

FOUND HER!!!

you were absolutely right… I sent a mail to Troyes, as promised, and was rewarded by a very succesfull answer:  Elizabeth Stevens still lies in the Communal Cemetery of Troyes, in a perpetual concession that was requested by the director of the French-british canteen where Elizabeth worked, Miss Bertha Dykes Spencer.

I've got the paperwork of the request and her death certificate. I'll post the details once I've translated the whole shebang for all the non French speakers and she is now part of my little list!

M.

Delighted. I look forward to details when available.

phsvm

FREV - family members are definately NOT easy to trace.  I live in the village she came from and I've been trying to track down relatives close enough for her to mean something to them for over 5 years. 

I did eventually find one lady who was a distant descendant but she told me she was the last of the family and she had no knowledge of Beatrice - and she still lived in the area.

That said I will investigate the tree on Ancestry - always assuming it's correct which more often than not I discover they're not.

Edited by phsvm

frev
10 hours ago, phsvm said:

FREV - family members are definately NOT easy to trace.  I live in the village she came from and I've been trying to track down relatives close enough for her to mean something to them for over 5 years. 

I did eventually find one lady who was a distant descendant but she told me she was the last of the family and she had no knowledge of Beatrice - and she still lived in the area.

That said I will investigate the tree on Ancestry - always assuming it's correct which more often than not I discover they're not.

Yep, have to agree there are an awful lot of family trees across the internet (not just on Ancestry) that are incredibly wrong - but if this one isn't - then the owner of the tree should be a relative, and one would hope would have more detail on other relatives....whether any of them would be interested in doing something about her grave, of course, is a different matter all together....

phsvm

Just an update on trying to trace Beatrice Steven's family.  There were a couple of possible leads on Ancestry.  One had so many inaccurcies I didn't pursue it.  The owner of the other tree I contacted but have had no response.

I did manage to trace Beatrice's sister who had two sons.  One died in 2008 with out issue and the other has disappeared - I think he may have been in South Africa but there the trail goes cold.

However, great news on the grave as the local authorities are going to tidy it up and stop their destruction of it.  Well done to Marilyne for all her efforts on that one.