Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CWGC amendments to family details are no longer allowed if you're not related

Bardess

I've just received the following response to an enquiry:

Re: 30195 Private S E BASTABLE, Devonshire Regiment

Thank you for your e-mail. In order for us to proceed with your amendment enquiry, firstly we would need to know whether you're related to the casualty in question, in anyway. Our amendment policy provides that only relatives of war casualties can request an addition or amendment to our non-core data, as long as sufficient documentary evidence is provided. This includes making a change to the next-of-kin details we hold for our casualty.

Kind Regards
Records Team 

Note that it is anonymous. I am absolutely furious and would never pass on doubtful information. I replied with a copy of the 1901 and 1911 Census returns plus his SER entry which names his Mum as Ruth and asked for their name

CWGC - email 68049 - mother not wife.jpg

Edited by Bardess

13 minutes ago, Bardess said:

Thank you for your e-mail. In order for us to proceed with your amendment enquiry, firstly we would need to know whether you're related to the casualty in question, in anyway. Our amendment policy provides that only relatives of war casualties can request an addition or amendment to our non-core data, as long as sufficient documentary evidence is provided. This includes making a change to the next-of-kin details we hold for our casualty.

Kind Regards
Records Team 

Note that it is anonymous. I am absolutely furious and would never pass on doubtful information. I replied with a copy of the 1901 and 1911 Census returns plus his SER entry which names his Mum as Ruth and asked for their name

CWGC - email 68049 - mother not wife.jpg

What do they regard as 'core details' ? They don't clarify that.

Craig

6 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

What do they regard as 'core details' ? They don't clarify that.

Craig

Being the right "seed" appears to be one of them Craig.

TR

Core details are number, rank, name, unit.

Cheers

Chris  

The odd thing is that, within the last 2 or so months, I've had the same amendment corrected on another casualty! I suppose it will take another 6 days to find out

Names at end of CWGC entry and sentiments for the headstone are extras  purchased as the cemeteries were properly constructed.  Thus, it was the choice of the next-of-kin what they paid for.  So CWGC policy is appropriate and correct- only the next of kin or the descendants could ask for an alteration.  Given that families often (veering towards invariably) fall out, then CWGC will not want to get involved with any arguments-and, as they are add-on extras which NOK chose to have or not, then CWGC will not just add these details for any old Tom,Dick or Harry

For instance, I have a local casualty where NOK detailed additions give the address as "Rue Huis Mon, Paris"   -which is a spelling error for Rue Huysmans (as in the Belgian poet) but CWGC would not correct that, even though it is obvious. A NOK descendant could do so without bother.

40 minutes ago, chrisharley9 said:

Core details are number, rank, name, unit.

Cheers

Chris  

Thanks Chris. I had a feeling that might them but wanted to confirm.

Craig

Thus, it was the choice of the next-of-kin what they paid for.

This has nothing to do with what appears on the headstone - it's purely their database information. I would rather they delete the name and address as it's clearly wrong

Can we amend the title of this thread as it's not entirely accurate?

5 minutes ago, Bardess said:

This has nothing to do with what appears on the headstone - it's purely their database information. I would rather they delete the name and address as it's clearly wrong

I wonder who supplied the name/address of the NOK as it seems to be on the original register.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252
corrected

14 minutes ago, Bardess said:

9 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

I wonder who supplied the name/address of the NOK as it seems to be on the original register.

Craig

Is this not the man's NOK from his service file??????    I still cannot see what the objection is,whether the information is on a headstone or online. 

Anything that appears on the NOK details on CWGC are from the NOK verification forms (these have in the main been destroyed). These would have been sent out sometime in the early 20s.

Chris

• Admin

Can NOK today request an additional "sentiment" to an otherwise "blank" CWGC headstone?

My friend's Grand Father died in ww1 and his then wife was not interested in a comment on the headstone (she left his son with one of his sisters and married someone else as soon as she could) and the grand-daughter would like a remembrance to be added if possible?

A couple of years ago, whilst looking at a work colleagues relative.  

I decided to have a look at the other Soldiers from the same Battalion and Regiment in the cemetery which I believed that he was buried in. 

One soldier, the address of his father was completely different on each of website, the cemetery register and the headstone scheduled entries. 

Even his Battalion was wrong,  luckily that his service Records had survived.  

Which was helpful in getting his battalion amended and also his father address amended correctly on the website. 

futher  more 2 documents in his service records state that he is not buried in the cemetery the CWGC has him in today but a different cemetery is the same area but 5 miles down the road. 

Im still waiting for their thoughts and report into research into the place of burial. 

Alan

David,

Please send me a PM and we can find out.

Chris

Shock/horror - email received just now!

Dear Di,

Thank you for your reply and the submission of documentary evidence. I have now amended casualty's next-of-kin details, accordingly (Son of Charles E and Ruth Bastable, of 306, Halesowen Rd., Old Hill, Staffs.). Please allow 24 hours for the amendment to show on our website.

Kind Regards
Dolly Begum

Quite impressed actually.

Edited by Bardess

Ta. They've obviously had dodgy info somewhere along the line and are being ultra careful after, perhaps, receiving a b0llocking from above?

• 11 months later...
On 08/10/2018 at 15:27, Bardess said:

Kind Regards
Records Team 

Hello 

I am brand new to this site but a few months ago I began researching my family history and came across S E Bastable. S E Bastable is my great grand uncle (my father's mother's father's brother). My dad lived at 306 Halesowen road in the 1960's. I am wondering what info you have on S E Bastable? Also, I am wondering why you were researching him. As to my knowledge, I am the first of my family to research our family history. 

Tony

Hi Tony and welcome! I am researching all casualties from Smethwick and am not family ^_^ Are you still local as my brother lives in Rowley Regis

Yes, I actually live in Rowley Regis! Fancy that! You live in Australia then? And what made you want to research Smethwick area soldiers? Thanks for the warm welcome. This is such a surprise to see that there is someone out there who knows about my relative. S E Bastable is Sampson Edward Bastable and his brother is Samuel who is buried near my grandmother in Powke Lane cemetery

Edited by outrunkid

I was born in Smethwick ^_^ I see you've found his entry in De Ruvigny's Roll of Honour. Now, I could be ultra kind and let you have all I've found or I could let you figure it out and check back with me. It really depends on whether you'd like the experience. Let me know x

I've never actually heard of De Ruvigny's Roll of Honour to be honest. I'm quite new to this and having just researched it briefly, I see maybe perhaps I did using Ancestry.co.uk access the roll of honour. I already have certain info and documents such as his death announcement and grave description, as well as some of the census info but am wondering what else is there? If you could be kind enough to share the info I would be very grateful. I might even be able to say thank you personally to your brother...:D

Ps I was going to post a reply about 2 hours ago but the site decided, as I was writing it to go down for maintenance...