Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Short history of Farnley Camp, Northern Command

Simon R

Members may be interested in this outline history of Farnley Camp on the Otley Local History Bulletin website.

This was the camp made famous by 12 KOYLI ("Miner's Battalion") and later developed as Northern Command Gas and Grenade School.

Camp commandant Maj. Herbert Edgar Burton, was a Northern celebrity, having been involved in the rescue of men from the wreck of the Rohilla at Whitby.

Minor fame attaches Tolkien and Stanley Holloway as itinerant officers passing through the camp, though the former left little trace.

Farnley Camp - Northern Command Gas and Grenade School

Later used as a camp for tank training in the Second World War, most of the extant remains date from this period.

Edited by Simon R
Greater clarity

• 4 years later...

I am researching Donald Matheson, Bombardier and Signaller, Ross Mountain Battery and 9 British Mountain Brigade.

His "Certificate of Employment During the War" states that he attended an Assistant Instructors' Course in signalling at the North Command Course, Otley which I think is this camp. Coincidentally I lived 5 miles from there during the 1990s.

I am going to visit the Signals Museum at Blandford Forum to see of they have more information.

Regards

Chris Davidson

Very interesting and you are right, same camp.

Farnley did produce it's own signalling syllabus, under auspices of Northern Command, but not yet seen by me. Sigs. Museum might be helpful.

Name seems familiar, I'll check notes.

I note two other Matheson's at Farnley.

Lt. Col. Neal Wm. O. Douglas Matheson, West Riding Div. RE, MC bar, DSO, MBE. Staff officer for a period 1916.

Sgt A. Matheson, 3/4 Seaforths, at Farnley Jan. 1916 on 10th course of signalling. Officers and NCO course, officers given 'special', NCOs 'assistant' certificates. Mostly men from 2nd or 3rd line btns. on this course, many Scottish regts.  Several RFA, RHA and RGA.

Many thanks.

Donald Matheson started as a Gunner in the Ross & Cromarty Mountain Brigade, RGA and then was later promoted to Bombardier which I understand is the equivalent of Lance-Corporal, hence his "assistant" certificate.

He is my cousin's wife's grandfather from Lewis in the Outer Hebrides.  I believe the Seaforths also recruited in that area. She is sending me some photos of him as a signaller which might be at the camp. I'll post them on the forum.

Do you know how long the courses lasted?

Cpl. T.R. Pallet, Northumberland Fus. (KIA 28/4/1917) attended signalling school at Farnley Camp from 3rd July 1916 till 5th Aug. 1916.

2nd Lt. A. St. G. Walsh recalled being at Farnley for signalling course lasting 3-4 weeks in 1916.

Lt. J. R. R. Tolkien was at Farnley for signalling course late March/early Apr. 1916 till 13th May 1916.

Assuming a changing syllabus as the war progressed, length of a course was between 3 weeks and 1 month.

Signalling courses are almost the least well attested courses at Farnley - field engineering schools were also  undertaken and they have left almost no documentary trace.