Peter Bennett

BOWYER, EDGAR RAYMOND

Peter Bennett

Second Lieutenant BOWYER, EDGAR RAYMOND

Died 01/10/1918

Aged 23

4th Bn.
York and Lancaster Regiment

I would be grateful if anyone can throw some light on the comments on his MIC Card, especially where it seems to say his 1914-15 Star was returned due to him being commissioned.

Thank you

Bowyer MIC Card.jpg

Edited by Peter Bennett
typo

Lawryleslie

One explanation could be that commissioned officers had to apply for their medal entitlement whereas ORs received them automatically. Thus his 1914-15 Star may have been sent to his regiment for issue, and given that he was killed, it was they that returned it with the comments on the back of the MiC. Do you know what happened to his BWM and VM?

Peter Bennett

Thank you for your reply he is one of the 1053 names on the Dewsbury War Memorial who are being researched by a  local history group of which I am a member. 

We assume that his other medals were received by his family. 

Lawryleslie
1 hour ago, Peter Bennett said:

Thank you for your reply he is one of the 1053 names on the Dewsbury War Memorial who are being researched by a  local history group of which I am a member. 

We assume that his other medals were received by his family. 

Good luck with your research Peter. I did the same with our village War Memorial which contain 13 men. It took nearly one year to complete and the result will be on display at our 100 years exhibition in November.