Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lieutenant Alexander, 104 Squadron, I.A.F.

josquin

Anyone with a copy of Keith Rannles' "Independent Force, " the history of the Independent Air Force in the Great War, I request

a look-up of information.  Lieutenant Alexander, of 104 Squadron, flew as observer for Lieut. O.L. Malcolm and other pilots.

He seems to have survived the war as there are no RAF Casualty Forms or RAF Museum casualty cards for him.

I request any biographical and service details Rannles provides--forenames, birthdate, birthplace, dates of attestation, postings,

any details about his prewar and postwar life.  Rannles provides short biographical sketches for the I.A.F. airmen so there should

be some information about Lieutenant Alexander.  Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Josquin

7 hours ago, josquin said:

Anyone with a copy of Keith Rannles' "Independent Force, " the history of the Independent Air Force in the Great War, I request

a look-up of information.  Lieutenant Alexander, of 104 Squadron, flew as observer for Lieut. O.L. Malcolm and other pilots.

He seems to have survived the war as there are no RAF Casualty Forms or RAF Museum casualty cards for him.

I request any biographical and service details Rannles provides--forenames, birthdate, birthplace, dates of attestation, postings,

any details about his prewar and postwar life.  Rannles provides short biographical sketches for the I.A.F. airmen so there should

be some information about Lieutenant Alexander.  Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Josquin

Hi

Rennles has short biographies on some, not all, airmen and it appears 2Lt H. Alexander is not one of them.  He is mentioned as going on six missions:

Page 123, 12 Sept. 1918 with Lt O. L. Malcolm.

Page 127, 13 Sept. 1918, with same.

Page 158, 9 Oct. 1918, with 2L:t. H. D. Arnott.

Page 160, 10 Oct. 1918, with same.

Page 182, 31 Oct. 1918, with 2Lt. L. C. Pitts.

Page 186, 3 Nov. 1918, with Lt. J. R. Tansey.

There is a little operational detail but none of the details you require.

Mike

Mike,

Many thanks for the informative response.  There are numerous RAF officers with the Alexander surname, so the forename initial

is very helpful.

Josquin