Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What is this young RWKent man holding?

4thGordons

30 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

The man lying down , second from right, is Vladimir Putin.

Fagman.jpg

Can't be Putin, he's got his shirt on . . .

The chap second from the right has a different cap badge even if you take into consideration the distortion.

The chap second from the right has a different cap badge even if you take into consideration the distortion.

Agreed.  The only other cap badge that looks different to me is the glum looking chap standing on the right with things sticking out of his breast pocket.

20 minutes ago, Dave1418 said:

Are you sure now?

Mike

4 hours ago, 4thGordons said:

Here is the complete photo. Wondering what the medal ribbons (2?) on the chap standing at the back might be? And what that might mean for dating the photo (he doesn't look particularly old)

medals.jpg.b197b39e1548522ebfe173ab69df975b.jpg

BWM and VM with the usual odd rendering by orthochromatic film, which would put the picture 1919 or later.

Looks like a Fife and Forfar yeoman standing right. He is wearing riding breeches; the others have trousers.

ETA: that is a harmonica for sure. He's even holding it the right way to play it.

Edited by wainfleet

No idea how the first bit fits but:

Poly -- Gone --- Wood?

Steve.

15 hours ago, PhilB said:

Is the yeoman holding a harmonica?

I think you're right!

On 08/10/2018 at 17:08, Skipman said:

Are you sure now?

Mike

Yes

Looks very much like a Fife and Forfar yeomanry to me

The Yeoman on the right unusually shows his eating irons in his breast pocket. The shape of the blade suggests a bone handled knife?

I think he is holding a large harmonica, with the cover removed or lost, exposing the reed plate.

Mike.

I'd say it's a harmonica. You can see beveled edges top and bottom and decorative patterns either end. Generally the bigger they are the lower the tone with bass harmonicas being enormous. Chap on the right has a piece of rough timber - either low budget percussion or waiting for more harmonicas to be issued..

harmonica.jpg

Edited by m0rris

I did wonder what I was letting myself in for here, what with the thread title and a first line of text that mentions a "camp photograph". However, I will add my weight to the harmonica theory. It's size would seem to suggest a bass version.

Was that you playing the mouth organ?

No, it was our Monica

Mike

On 08/10/2018 at 01:26, MBrockway said:

Long shot, but the way he's holding it reminds me of a mouth organ ...

The Graphic 1905

73sized.jpg

Not confident though and I cannot find any harmonica with that decoration on its back.

Mark

Those pics with the reeds showing make me much more confident now in my initial suggestion back in Post #2  :innocent:

Edited by MBrockway