Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What is this young RWKent man holding?

4thGordons

This is detail from a camp photograph - the item (box? tin?) seems to be being held up as though it would be recognized by viewers.... but I don't!

Is it a well known trademark/design? The rest of the pic seems to suggest it *might* be foodstuffs of some sort tin of sardines? box of teabags? biscuits?  (or possibly cigarettes/tobacco? box of dominoes?)

10-7-2detail.jpg.86a2afb581e724d13c5aa993a84bf866.jpg

Any ideas?

TIA

Chris

Edited by 4thGordons

Long shot, but the way he's holding it reminds me of a mouth organ ...

The Graphic 1905

73sized.jpg

Not confident though and I cannot find any harmonica with that decoration on its back.

Mark

Hmmm yes I see what you mean Mark!

Here're the other objects being held -- an empty bowl (by a stray RFA man! all the others are RWK) and another box? block of something?

10-7-2detail2.jpg.afcdaa11b37ea24b375fd72a23050005.jpg

13 minutes ago, MBrockway said:

Long shot, but the way he's holding it reminds me of a mouth organ … … Not confident though and I cannot find any harmonica with that decoration on its back.

8 minutes ago, 4thGordons said:

Hmmm yes I see what you mean Mark!

Here're the other objects being held -- an empty bowl (by a stray RFA man! all the others are RWK) and another box? block of something?

If it's any help my first thoughts were the same as Marks - a decorated mouth organ.

I thought it may be a harmonica still in the box. The soldier on the left side of the photo seems to be holding a box of similar size.

Scott

Is it possible the chap on the right is holding the box in which the thing the chap on the left is carrying came? Harmonica suits me.

I'm far from sure about my mouth organ suggestion!

The object on RHS of the image reminds me of a block of industrial laundry soap such as we were wont to use at school for scrubbing shirt cuffs and collars.

The 'mouth organ' could be its packaging?

The block also reminds me of holystone used in scrubbing decks?

Either would seem to fit the possible theme of camp chores.

The man on the right seems to be holding a piece of wood; the grain is clearly visible. I'm sure that's a harmonica on the left. You can even see how the ends are crimped down and pinned to the centre block. If the cup and plate are enamel, they might be an impromptu band.

Unusual jacket being worn by the gunner, scalloped pocket flaps and oddly-shaped rifle patches. It would be interesting to see the whole photo.

My first thought was it is a visual pun for families at home, I'm not familiar with Kent so if someone can come up with a placename along the lines of Harmonicacup Wood/Mouthbowl Wood I'd be obliged.

1 hour ago, MBrockway said:

The object on RHS of the image reminds me of a block of industrial laundry soap such as we were wont to use at school for scrubbing shirt cuffs and collars...

...The block also reminds me of holystone used in scrubbing decks?

Or a 'Bath Brick'   assuming the trade name etc is on the face away from the camera, & wasn't stamped on both sides... This link given in the Wikipedia entry does say:

'Anywhere the British army went, the Bath Brick went likewise...' & '... At its peak, 24,000,000 bricks per year were being produced by ten different Bridgwater companies, especially during First World War when they were part of the soldier’s standard kit issue.'  but then goes on to contradict itself by giving: 'By the start of First World War l, they had been replaced by those tall cans of kitchen scourers.'

NigelS

The faces have a mischievous air about them as if the "message" if there is one, is a little risque.

2 hours ago, wainfleet said:

The man on the right seems to be holding a piece of wood; the grain is clearly visible. I'm sure that's a harmonica on the left. You can even see how the ends are crimped down and pinned to the centre block. If the cup and plate are enamel, they might be an impromptu band.

Unusual jacket being worn by the gunner, scalloped pocket flaps and oddly-shaped rifle patches. It would be interesting to see the whole photo.

10-7-2.jpg.29c2d6bf0feb27dbe2e9cdf586ee9d0f.jpg

Here is the complete photo. Wondering what the medal ribbons (2?) on the chap standing at the back might be? And what that might mean for dating the photo (he doesn't look particularly old)

medals.jpg.b197b39e1548522ebfe173ab69df975b.jpg

There is a galvanized tub off to the right which might support the soap theory -- unless that is the percussion section!

I have to say it looks a bit large for a Harmonica doesn't it?

The RWK men seem to have their shoulder titles on cloth sliders rather than directly on their epaulettes.

Chris

1 hour ago, keithfazzani said:

The faces have a mischievous air about them as if the "message" if there is one, is a little risque.

Perhaps not risqué, but a way of letting families know where they were? Safely in reserve rather than in the front line.  Yes, I'm overthinking this.

In the backgound there are trees could this suport the theory that the objects hint at where they are e.g, something, something wood. 

• Admin
41 minutes ago, Gardenerbill said:

In the backgound there are trees

Which aren't particularly leafy which gives a clue of the time of year it was taken.

The fold creases down the trousers of the standing men suggest new uniforms and the "freshness" of the men suggests a UK photo.

Could it be a village/works type of reunion at a training camp and the items being held up are code for "send us fags, food and 'real' soap?

4 hours ago, wainfleet said:

The man on the right seems to be holding a piece of wood; the grain is clearly visible.

Agreed.

It looks like a short length of 3" x 2"

The card back is "postcard" "Printed in Great Britain" - rather than Carte Postale etc

No other details.

Chris