Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Robin Garrett

Gilbert Pragnell MM

Robin Garrett

Gilbert Pragnell enlisted in the Hampshire Regiment in, I think, early September 1914. His number was 11170. He served in the 11th Battalion, the Pioneer battalion of 16 Irish Division. The regimental magazine shows he was wounded in action in October 1916. His MM was gazetted on 13 March 1918. On 17 October 1918, when he was killed in action during the Battle of the Selle, he was serving with 2nd Battalion the Royal Dublin Fusiliers, who were part of 149 Bde in 50 (Northumbrian Division). I know he was born in 1892 in West Tytherley, Hampshire, where he is commemorated on the war memorial, and that he enlisted in Sholing, a suburb of Southampton. I have his 1911 Census entry.

I'd be interested in any information on his wounding in 1916, his MM award and his transfer to 2RDF.

clk

Hi Robin,

47 minutes ago, Robin Garrett said:

I'd be interested in any information on his wounding in 1916

There is a record on Findmypast which shows him as 'A' Company. 11 Hants admitted 11 General Hospital, Dannes Camier on 11th September 1916 with a severely wounded left arm.

Regards

Chris

Mark1959

There appears to have been another wounding in late 1917. Appears in War Office Casualty list 18/12/1917

Robin Garrett

Thanks Mark and Chris.

Where does one find the War Office Casualty Lists?

Having followed the link to Findmypast, where do I go to find him?

Regards

Robin

Robin Garrett

Can anyone help me with the date that Gilbert was transferred to the Royal Dublin Fusiliers? Although he enlisted in the Hampshire Regiment (number 11170) he died as a corporal in the RDF with the number 43657 on 17 Oct 1918.

Thanks in advance

Robin

alastaircox

What a coincidence, I used to live in West Tytherley and knew the family. My wife lived in one of "Pragnell's Cottages" when she was growing up. If you need any gossip, the mother-in-law is sure to know! It probably won't stretch to military service mind you.

Robin Garrett

Hi Alastair

I have only lived in the village for 19 years, so a newcomer. A few years ago, I researched the names on the war memorial and the vicar published the result. I was helped by a number of the older residents. One had been married to Gilbert's nephew, now deceased. I am now updating the document, as inevitably more information has come out of the woodwork.

Interestingly on another thread I came across this:

On 08/08/2009 at 18:38, Marc Thompson said:

12989 L/Cpl Frederick Charles PRAGNELL

14th (Service) Battalion (1st Portsmouth), Hampshire Regiment

Died of wounds 19/10/1916 aged 26 years of age. Subsequently buried in Petersfield Cemetery, Hampshire

Regimental casualty list published November 1916 records Frederick Pragnell as wounded in action (shrapnel wound to the face and head), Wharncliffe War Hospital., Middlewood Road, Sheffield.

Most likely wounded in action on 3rd September 1916 during attack by 39th Division at Hamel.

Born: December qtr 1889, West Tytherley, Hampshire

Son of Robert Charles and Rosa Kate Pragnell

Enlisted: Emsworth, Hampshire in early September 1914

Residence: Portsmouth

Marc

I responded that Pragnell (was) is a very common name in West Tytherley and three Pragnells are recorded on our war memorial - Arthur, Ernest and Gilbert (MM). It is interesting that Frederick whom Marc records as being born in the village, wasn't recorded; it must have been known that he was killed. Others recorded on the memorial seem to have less close connections to the village than Frederick.

pudsey63

Hi. Frederick Pragnell is on the Petersfield War Memorial. He lived with his wife in the town. See my blog for more details. https://www.greatwarforum.org/blogs/blog/676-ww1-petersfield-buriton-east-meon-langrish-and-sheet-casualties/

We did a Centenary exhibition at the local museum and someone I know turned out to be related to Frederick Pragnell. Small world!

Robin Garrett

Thanks Pudsey. I'll have a look sometime to see whether any of "my" Pragnells had connections to him - must have been cousins around.