Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

State of New York WW1 Service Medal - Anyone Have Access to the Medal Roll?

brimacombe

Hi All!

I wonder if anyone can help....?

Like most US States, New York issued it's own service medal to members of the State who had seen service during the war.  All individually numbered, the records pertaining to these issuing of these medals has been kept in part - with emphasis on the 'in part'!  I'd dearly like to discover if there is a card pertaining to medal issue no. 75505 and have been trawling through the cards on Ancestry for a few days (which, frustratingly, are not searchable by number).

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that, through the power of the forum, a fellow member might have access to a searchable database and could perhaps put me out my misery!

Thanks, as always guys!

Shawn

Edited by brimacombe

There is a book published by OMSA that lists all the identifiable numbers issued but I was told that not all the numbers could be identified so may not help at all.

FYI there was also a medal issued by NY state for service on the Mexican Border that was also #'d but no idea of a roll.

Thanks for the post.

There used to be a database accessible online, but this has disappeared (some time ago).  I'm a member of OMSA and was hoping the lists might be available through there (there are a number of other online medal rolls already available) but alas no.  Not all the medals are identifiable, but there is always hope - hence the hope that someone on the forum might have access to the roll, rather than me have to continue trawling every medal card or go to the expense of obtaining the book!

You're also quite right about the NY Mexican Border medal.  Again there is a medal roll (or at least index cards) actually available on Ancestry, but it's only searchable by name rather than number.

The US State issued WW1 Service medals are certainly an interesting avenue of collecting and one, obviously, pursued far more across the pond.  However, there are still enough examples (at varying degrees of expense!) available to the UK collector, and it looks like I might be needing to find some more wall space for another frame of medals very soon!

On ‎06‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 15:38, brimacombe said:

Thanks for the post.

There used to be a database accessible online, but this has disappeared (some time ago).  I'm a member of OMSA and was hoping the lists might be available through there (there are a number of other online medal rolls already available) but alas no.  Not all the medals are identifiable, but there is always hope - hence the hope that someone on the forum might have access to the roll, rather than me have to continue trawling every medal card or go to the expense of obtaining the book!

You're also quite right about the NY Mexican Border medal.  Again there is a medal roll (or at least index cards) actually available on Ancestry, but it's only searchable by name rather than number.

The US State issued WW1 Service medals are certainly an interesting avenue of collecting and one, obviously, pursued far more across the pond.  However, there are still enough examples (at varying degrees of expense!) available to the UK collector, and it looks like I might be needing to find some more wall space for another frame of medals very soon!

I've had several ;local medals for  WW1 service in my collection from different places. I am flabbergasted that so few records exist for their issue! I mean small towns or big ones but sno rerods remain of the issue or application for the awards. I can't believe that since most of them were paid for out of public funds by the places of issue that no records were kept  of the money spent at least. Nor how the medals were issued to those who earned them. I'd think a form had to be submitted for the award with some sort of evidence or proof of service & not just walts in the door of the courthouse & pick up a medal. Especially those that were named to the recipient. But alas I hit walls almost every time. One place I contacted even the town historian did not even know such a medal had been issued by them & found nothing to indicate it. Very frustrating.

• 2 years later...
24 minutes ago, mortimer said:

Dear brimacombe, I to am trying to id a pair (NY WW1 & Mexican) did you ever get access to the NY roll?

Hi mortimer. Not sure if this is what you need but Ancestry have access to the 'New York, U.S., Record of Award Medal, 1920-1991' which hold Spanish - American and WW1 recipients  https://www.ancestry.com/search/collections/2877/ 

I have just tried to access this through Ancestry UK and without world wide access it will show a hit but no detail, however, searching on the same name via Fold3 produces results. 

Very happy to search your names. 

Edited by Gunner 87

Dear brimacombe, I to am trying to id a pair (NY WW1 & Mexican) did you ever get access to the NY roll?

Dear Gunner 87, Could you check NY Gt War medal # 9180, should come up as Cooney, William or Frank, one of 2 bro's 27th Div., 53rd Bde., 105th MG Bn. THANKS, Mort

I took a quick look via the link you sent but the card system must be flawed, I obtained a Purple Heart group to William above inc number/named medal in #'d box, framed wound cert with Liberty - too much to list, via child of Williams

NY medal has low #...!?

On 29/04/2021 at 23:43, mortimer said:

Dear Gunner 87, Could you check NY Gt War medal # 9180, should come up as Cooney, William or Frank, one of 2 bro's 27th Div., 53rd Bde., 105th MG Bn. THANKS, Mort

Hi Mort, i'm sorry for the delay. I was away at the weekend without access to my computer and, as such, didn't see your response.

Searching for surname 'Cooney' only against the 'New York, U.S., Record of Award Medal, 1920-1991' Ancestry is returning a William J Cooney though I can see no more information without a worldwide subscription. No Frank's found. 

Fold3, however, have the WWI New York Army Card and outgoing / incoming US Army WWI Transport Service, Passenger Lists, for this guy I think is likely your William Cooney.

Army Card records Private William J Cooney, 2672461, 31 years and 8 months of age, service from April 5th 1918 to February 18th 1919. 152 Depot Brigade until April 18th 1918, Company 'A' 106th Machine Gun Battalion to September 1st 1918 then 2 Corps Prov (?) Replacement Battalion until discharged on February 19th 1919, address 803 6th Avenue, New York. Outgoing passenger list from Newport for the May 10th 1918 aboard the Antigone with men from Company 'A' 106th Machine Gun Battalion, 27th Division, USA, providing mother to be notified in case of emergency, Mrs Mary A Cooney at 524th West 174th Street New York City, New York. Returning list from St Nazaire, France January 10th 1919 on the Manchuria with soldiers from multiple units, William just shown as Machine Gun Battalion, giving father as contact, address of 291 Edgecomb Avenue, New York City, New York. 

There is a second Private William J Cooney 2398769, service from June 22nd 1916 to July 8th 1919. While this man enlisted in White Plains, New York state he was born in East Porchester, Connecticut, and there is no mention of serving in a Machine Gun Battalion.  

I have sent you a pm. 

Edited by Gunner 87

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Gunner 87, Yes it's 2672461, I can't understand why he has no card for the WW1 NY medal, the WJ Cooney who has a card - is AAF WW2 for a NY Conspicuous Service Cross, THANKS for the above, we don't have fold 3, BEST regards, Mort

On 18/05/2021 at 19:54, mortimer said:

Dear Gunner 87, Yes it's 2672461, I can't understand why he has no card for the WW1 NY medal, the WJ Cooney who has a card - is AAF WW2 for a NY Conspicuous Service Cross, THANKS for the above, we don't have fold 3, BEST regards, Mort

Hey Mort. Just found this, not sure why I missed it before. Not terribly exciting but a record no less. 

8FB2E222-FAEC-472A-B054-4E11002DBE20.jpeg.b6675856a12e73e0b095cff12d8689e5.jpeg