Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bombing of Lyons La Forêt, Eure, France during the great war

Oldleg

I was wondering if anyone could help. The Imperial War Museum claim to have a painting dating to the period of the great war of le pont de la rigole (Lyons La Forêt) in their collection. In the description it says that the bridge was bomb damaged. I have been researching the story of this village for some years now and I know that there were at least 1000 Indian Labour Corps workers, some South Arficans, British, Canadians and at least two POW camps, one of which is said to have held 2000 German pows. These men worked in the surrounding forest harvesting timber for the frontline to help fortify trenches, it was used for building purposes, for charcoal for heating  and for the production of the high explosive Ammonal. Apart from the info I have on the workers, prisoners etc. I have tried in local archives and found nothing. Mind you, there is nothing much of any description in the archives concerning this area during the war.  

Does anyone have any form of information concerning any bombings in this area at all? 

Any help in this matter would be much appreciated. 

Map of Lyons and Rouen.jpg

Max, I know everyone in the photo. I hhave spoken to the Association and they don't have any information at all. In fact when I told them of the painting, they were quite surprised. I personally have not see the painting but I have confirmed with the IWM that they can get access to it as I believe it is being held at Duxford in their archives.