Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William Birdsall Neild

BennetM

Hi I am looking for information on this person.... William Birdsall Neild, Born in Salford 1 May 1881 died 5 Jun 1948. I have two documents from his time in the Royal Garrison Artillery and Im not really sure what they tell me.

His rank was GNR (gunner), Regtl No 211545.

Medal Index card looks like it reads RGA / 227 B (is this is unit?), another document reads 156 A A Sec 

Does this mean anything to anyone? ideally I am looking to gather as much info and any pictures if possible as to what may realte to William

Thanks in advance

• Admin

Welcome to the forum.

For starters, I suggest that you read this 

http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/how-to-research-a-soldier/

hopefully it will answer some of your questions.

Michelle

.  RGA 227B is the number of the RGA Medal Award roll in which the medals on the card are listed.  The unit title was 156 Anti Aircraft section a small unit in the much larger Royal Garrison Artillery.  Its listing on the card indicates it was his last unit.  Some general info here:
https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/development-of-british-anti-aircraft-artillery-in-the-first-world-war/

Max

Edited by MaxD
addition

Hi

His "Army" name  is William BIRTSALL Neild according to the  medal award roll where his middle name is handwritten in red ink. All other records are BIRDSALL

Regards Barry

May I suggest you look ay the service records on Ancestry or FindMyPast for Gnr. 211543 John Graham. It is highly probable that Gnr. Neild followed the same path to the RGA and 156 AA Section. 

Kevin 

On 10/5/2018 at 8:15 PM, The Inspector said:

Hi

His "Army" name  is William BIRTSALL Neild according to the  medal award roll where his middle name is handwritten in red ink. All other records are BIRDSALL

Regards Barry

All other records? Did you find anymore as I could only find those two 

11 hours ago, kevinrowlinson said:

May I suggest you look ay the service records on Ancestry or FindMyPast for Gnr. 211543 John Graham. It is highly probable that Gnr. Neild followed the same path to the RGA and 156 AA Section. 

Kevin 

Thanks Kevin

will take a look