Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sister Catherine MacDonald 48 CCS

mbriscoe

I am just adding some names from the Braes of Rannoch Roll of Honour to the IWM WMR, the first name is a nurse and trying to identify her so I know whether she was military or civilian.  I wonder if anyone can help.

All that I have is

Sister CATHERINE MACDONALD  48 C.C.S. France

Directly below is Miss C. M. MacDiarmid of the 14th detachment Red Cross, Edinburgh V.A.D. but no problem there as classed as civilian.

Could be, I think she must have been a VAD.  Quite possible died of disease so would quite likely not recorded by the CWGC.

I will have another look in the newspapers later, though quite possible she was not from the Rannoch area - the lack of date possibly fits with that.  Perhaps she had previously been at a wartime hospital in one of the big houses so known to the other staff.

Yes I think I saw her name but it is a very common name.  Also I would think in wartime a nurse could get promoted to sister quicker than usual.

You don't have to spend £3.50 to read the preview pages (and this lady served) - her father is given as her nearest relative - his address in 1918 was George Town Rannoch Perthshire.  George town is (Wiki) the old name for Braes of Rannoch.

Of course if it is not important enough feel free to ignore this.

Max

1 minute ago, MaxD said:

You don't have to spend £3.50 to read the preview pages (and this lady served) - her father is given as her nearest relative - his address in 1918 was George Town Rannoch Perthshire.  George town is (Wiki) the old name for Braes of Rannoch.

Of course if it is not important enough feel free to ignore this.

Max

Thanks, just good to find the connection.  I did not know the old name so will try a newspaper search later though just editing the images of the Kinloch Rannoch War memorial to add to the WMR - they did not get a War Memorial until 1930 because they were not sure which areas were going to be flooded by the hydro scheme.

I commented in another thread, the Braes of Rannoch Roll of Honour has an unusual sorting order.  First by rank, then sorted died / wounded / returned and finally surname.  Not seen done that way before and did not realise initially what they had done.

Staff Nurse C. Macdonald TFNS is mentioned in 48CCS diary.

10/3/1919. Reported for duty from 54 General Hospital.

17/4/1919. Proceeded to report to OC 61CCS.

29/4/1919. Taken back on strength.

30/4/1919. Proceeded to report to Matron in Chief and struck off strength.

48 CCS was probably her last posting.

TEW