Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

can anyone tell me what ribbon this is pl

arantxa

came in a box from the auction

IMG_1037.jpg

I think the ribbon might be that for the U.K.s General Service Medal, introduced in 1962, and replaced by the Operational Service Medal in 1999.  The main reason I am hesitating is that the colours in the photo look much brighter and lighter than the purple and green in the photos I have seen.

I think it's less bright in real life

thank you 

it looks like that doesn't it

My vote goes for Turkish Crimea too.

One of the dealers put out a warning about fake's hitting the market a couple of years ago. Fortunately I am not looking for one, and my examples have been with me for 20 years. Was any guidance given on how to spot the rogues? Could be pertinent here as a very few WW1 men might have had one - though I can only think of Lord Fisher off the top of my head.

Regards,

Mike

Medal Yearbook 2012 ...

Comments: <snip> Dangerous copies, emanating from the West Country of the UK, are known to be circulating.

thank you  all  for your help

17 hours ago, Terry_Reeves said:

I agree. See this:

http://tinyurl.com/yc7cux2s

TR

Dangerous indeed, but at least that one is being sold as "new" and at a fairly realistic price. Unfortunately I am old enough to remember when the originals were only fetching that kind of money - Ho hum.

Mike

43 minutes ago, Medaler said:

Dangerous indeed, but at least that one is being sold as "new" and at a fairly realistic price. Unfortunately I am old enough to remember when the originals were only fetching that kind of money - Ho hum.

Mike

The problem is Mike that when these "new" medals have done rounds for a few years the unscrupulous try and sell them on as genuine often through on-line auction sites. As a collector myself I am appalled at some of the descriptions of items on-line of late particularly with regard to WW1 medals.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

2 hours ago, Terry_Reeves said:

The problem is Mike that when these "new" medals have done rounds for a few years the unscrupulous try and sell them on as genuine often through on-line auction sites. As a collector myself I am appalled at some of the descriptions of items on-line of late particularly with regard to WW1 medals.

TR

Quite right too. On the other hand there will always be those selling on Ebay who have no idea what it is that they actually have - but there is frequently gold in them thar hills. How many sellers of WW1 medals post images of the naming? come to that, how many post images that you can actually see? It's a minefield, but I can't see it changing any time soon. So far I have been lucky, but most of the stuff I bid on WW1 wise is low value and not worth a faker bothering with. I would certainly NEVER buy an MC on Ebay after some of the horror stories I've seen on BMF. I can tell you now that I would have fallen for them as I don't really know my way around them. I'm lucky really that my WW1 interests don't very often take me out of the cheap end of the market.

Thanks for the link to the image of that Turkish Crimea. You would think they would be faking the French version wouldn't you?

Warmest regards,

Mike

It's the Charge of the Light Brigade and Thin Red Line  legends that attract the fakers I think.

54 minutes ago, MBrockway said:

It's the Charge of the Light Brigade and Thin Red Line  legends that attract the fakers I think.

You are probably right. I remember years ago seeing a Turkish Crimea named up to a Lancer at an antique fair in Castle Donnington. I still have no idea if I missed a bargain or avoided a pile of poo. On the whole I'm glad I kept the money in my pocket.

Warmest regards,

Mike

On 03/10/2018 at 04:00, arantxa said:

photo of mine (Sardinian Issue)   regards  Bob R>

20170521_000213.jpg.865cb8c25f41f78933b412776aa415d1.jpg