Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

No41 Squadron Samuel Hinks 36250 Observer for Lieutenant Cody

Hello All

I have in my possession two WW1 medals for 36250 1. A.M. S.HINKS R.A.F. There are also associated military cloth badges and photographs which show he was and Observer, there is also his watch. What is confusing me is a clock made using the centre of a Clerget Sopwith propeller which has an attached brass plaque relating to  Lieutenant Cody and S Hinks. It is dated 25th January 1917. I notice on this forum that Cody was killed on the 23rd January. I assume the plaque relates to the date the plane was recovered although I am not sure, it could be a mistake. I would appreciate any help that could be given with regards to this recaptured 'British Machine' and the service of Samuel Hinks 36250.

Thank You

IMG_7486.jpg

IMG_7489.JPG

IMG_7490.JPG

Anne 1942,

Samuel Hinks was born on October 6th, 1877, at Aston, Warwickshire, the son of John & Sarah Ann Hicks (source: The Warwickshire Parish Register).

His Royal Flying Corps service record gives his birthdate and birthplace, states that he enlisted in the R.F.C. on July 20th, 1916, and that his

civilian occupation was "fitter."  He may have been the observer for 2nd-Lieutenant Samuel Franklyn Leslie Cody, but Lt. Cody's final flight on

January 23rd, 1918 was in a single-seat F.E.8 scout that was shot down east of Boesinghe, 2 miles north of Ypres, Belgium.  1st-Class Air Mechanic

Hicks was not involved in the January 23rd combat and he survived the war.  It is unclear why the propeller has the January 25th date rather than the

correct date for Lt. Cody's loss, or that the propeller is from Lt. Cody's B.E.8 (#7613) from No. 41 Squadron, R.F.C.  Lt. Cody was shot down by

Lt, Walter von Buelow-Bothkamp of Jasta 18, the 6th of his 28 victory claims, who was killed in action near Ypres on January 6th, 1918 in combat

with R.F.C. pilots.

Regards,

Josquin

Reading the plaque I would assume that Cody shot down and recaptured a British Machine that was being used by the Germans rather than this belonged to one he was in himself.

Steve

Theres no capture that matches the date period. Stating that the  Germans flew captured a  Sopwith is very far fetched.

Very few observers held a rank as low as .1.A.M. Cody can not have had  an observer .Cody had been dead two days before this action.

To be blunt Hinks , or someone on his behalf , has put a bogus plaque on a RFC memento .