Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

mgc man Salonica to Turkey

Just aquired this photo of my gd, no information on him from my dad other than he was in Salonica fighting the Bulgars. His mic just shows name, rank , unit , medals awarded. 

I was just wondering as the postcard is dated 1920 Turkey what was he doing there, was his unit in Turkey as part of the demob process, would he be compelled as a specialized corp member to serve on after the war in an army of occupation, or maybe he signed on for a further period of service.

scan0004.jpg

Hi whaligeo59,

Welcome to the forum. After the Bulgarian armistice was signed at the end of September 1918, the British Salonika Army split up. Some units went to Roumania others into Serbia, the 28th Division ended up in Turkey as part of the army of occupation, this is how your Gd ended up in Turkey. If you go to the parent site 'The Long Long Trail' (see link above) it has details of the movements of divisions and what units they contained.

Thank's for your help Gardenerbill.  I am just starting to look into things,  my knowledge of the great war is pretty scant but what i have read the battles in Salonica although a minor theatre of war were every bit as bloody as France and Flanders hence i suppose his reticence in talking about his war time experience.

Just an aside, his crofthouse garden now sadly a ruin is a profusion of snowdrops in the spring,  the bulbs he took home in his kitbag for his wife.

I wonder if these would be the Salonica equivalent of the f&f poppy?

Thank's again.