Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Time of the Armistice

tootrock

I am sure that has been discussed many times before, but rather than search through all that has been written in the past could I just ask the following question.

When the Armistice came into force at 11am in France/Germany, what time was it in England?

Martin

Answers to Correspondents  Nottingham Evening Post - Wednesday 13 November 1918 (British Newspaper Archive)

Theoretically there is a difference of 9 min. 21 sec. between the time of the Paris and Greenwich meridians, Greenwich being that interval slow compared with Paris; so that 10.51 Greenwich time would be the equivalent of 1.0 Paris time to the nearest minute. But by the law of March 10th, 1911, the "heure légale" throughout France was defined as the "temps moyen de Paris retardée." which is, of course, the time of the Greenwich meridian. Eleven o'clock French time, the hour fixed by Marechal Foch for the decision on the armistice terms, would, therefore be the same as 11 o'clock English time.

Mike

Edited by Skipman

Thanks for that information.

I wanted to check because I have read that at 11am on 11 November 2018 it will be 100 years to the minute since the Armistice came into force, and I was not sure if that was correct.

Martin

Of course for the BEF it wasn't 11am, it was 11:00 or 1100hrs or some other variation that didn't include the ack emma. The 24 clock was introduced (AO 23 of 1918 is the reference) on the night of 30 Oct/1 Nov 18. 

Just now, Gareth Davies said:

night of 30 Oct/1 Nov 18

er ... 31 Oct/1 Nov?

Ron

Both England and France were on GMT at the time (France only changed to GMT + 1 during the German Occupation in the Second World War and never went back), so 11am GMT is indeed the precise anniversary.  Oops didn't read secon dpost properly which says same.

Though for the Germans it was 12 noon

Edited by David_Underdown

Just now, Ron Clifton said:

er ... 31 Oct/1 Nov?

Ron

Just testing.

Yes, 31 Oct/1 Nov.  

6 hours ago, tootrock said:

Thanks for that information.

I wanted to check because I have read that at 11am on 11 November 2018 it will be 100 years to the minute since the Armistice came into force, and I was not sure if that was correct.

Martin

Thanks Martin. I also was not certain but am now.

Mike