Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lieut Arthur F London, Notts & Derby Regiment

Janet Durbin

Bryan Pready (LOTFWWcommunity) believes that this is Arthur Frank London of the Notts and Derby Regiment. Having real problems finding him. He was injured and was at Polesden Lacey 8th May - 14th Oct 1915, this is a very long time to be at Polesden hospital Any information would be gratefully received. . No automatic alt text available.

• Admin

Hello Janet!

Did Bryan offer any evidence to support this particular name?

My first glance was that it was an A S Jordan.- it looks more like an underline to me rather than the tail of an L.

Now we just need the rest of the PALS to jump in and prove Bryan right and me wrong!

Regards

David

https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/2700197

Arthur Frank London, 

Born in Ipswich in 1883

Worked in Salford as a commercial traveller in 1911.

Married in Manchester in 1916.

Died 1948.

Lieut. Nottinghamshire And Derbyshire Regiment

SWB in October 1916: Silver War Badge given to wounded soldiers, which they could wear in civilian clothes to show they had served in the armed forces an been invalided out. No indication, in this case, of his wounds.

Lee Richards hasn't been able to help, he couldn't find officer papers.

Yet again David, hoping to match a signature.

• Admin

Janet

Can you move this to "Soldiers" - you will get much more attention there. Click on "Report post" and ask a Mod to move it.

I'll keep looking but if Lee couldn't find anything....

Regards

David

• Admin
23 minutes ago, Janet Durbin said:

The only A S Jordan, I can find is a Corporal, so wouldn't have been sent to Polesden. 

OK London Gazette has Arthur Frank London made a 2nd Lieutenant in 8th Bn Notts and Derbys  on 11th June 1915, previously a Private in the Inns of Court Officers Training Corps https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29188/supplement/5624

So far I haven't uncovered Arthur resigning his commission due to wounds in the Gazette - searched 1/5/1915 - 1/5/1917 but may have missed him.

Is there anything in Pension records for him? Does he appear in a Casualty list? (Just wondering if he may have suffered a Training Accident)

Currently re-checking the 386 records that have come up against "Arthur London" in the WO374 list of Territorial / Temporary Commissions, will let you know if I find anything.

(I had found Albert Searl(e) Jordan - a Gunner in RGA commissioned to 2/Lt also in RGA but don't spend too much time on him, he may at this stage be a red fish  http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C1141355 )

• Admin

No luck with WO374 so I checked out the Long List - interestingly Arthur Frank does not feature.......

Image from TNA free download

image.png.6a2b4b2b4d0eb73d4e307acdfbaee9e8.png

Notts, and Derby. Regt,.—2nd Lt. (temp. Lt.) A. F. London relinquishes his commission on account of ill-health, and is granted the hon. rank of Lt. 16th Jan. 1916. (Substituted for L.G. of 15th Jan. 1916.)

LG 26 April 1917.

He has a Silver War Badge issued 14 Oct 1916

Max

• Admin
1 minute ago, MaxD said:

Notts, and Derby. Regt,.—2nd Lt. (temp. Lt.) A. F. London relinquishes his commission on account of ill-health, and is granted the hon. rank of Lt. 16th Jan. 1916. (Substituted for L.G. of 15th Jan. 1916.)

LG 26 April 1917.

He has a Silver War Badge issued 14 Oct 1916

Max

Cheers Max, just hadn't gone back far enough!

He didn't last very long did he?

David

Great guys. Think it's him then. Happy with the signature?

Albert Searle Jordan is too late. 

Really didn't last long. One amongst many sadly.

• Admin

Thanks for posting Mark

Sadly not a match......

David

Should have added - but signatures can change over time as seen previously with E Clifford Smith. However this does seem to be a very different signature in this case.

Edited by DavidOwen

• Admin

Can I then suggest that the first initial is indeed an "A" but the remainder of the signature is one word, perhaps beginning with "H"

Thus I came across Arthur Horden a 2nd Lieutenant in the Royal Garrison Artillery - service file here http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C1122594

However, I have not been able to confirm commission date or anything else about the gentleman so tread lightly for now.....

If anyone can crack this for you it is the Forum PALS.

Is that where I am David? If not I haven't heard of forum PALS.  I am afraid that I will be off line for the next few days, (maybe a short spell this evening, gets so addictive this research,) I shall try your suggestion, Like the suggestion of Horden....Janet 

• Admin
6 minutes ago, Janet Durbin said:

Is that where I am David? If not I haven't heard of forum PALS.  I am afraid that I will be off line for the next few days, (maybe a short spell this evening, gets so addictive this research,) I shall try your suggestion, Like the suggestion of Horden....Janet 

It certainly is Janet - the "PALS" is another reference to the members of the forum, and we know how good they are at solving mysteries such as this. It was a shame it wasn't London but I am pleased you didn't end up with the wrong man (although all need remembering).

Perhaps when you come back someone will have found the answer for you (I hope so).

Regards

David

It looks like we are back to JORDAN, and I think A. F. Jordan

Sjt. A. F. Jordan was gazetted 2nd Lt. into the Royal Field Artillery on 20 December 1914 https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29013/supplement/10896

and as 2nd. Lt. Alfred F. Jordan promoted to temp. Lieutenant 22 April 1915 https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29146/supplement/4147

Ancestry is not co-operating with me this morning so have been unable to look for a medal index card, and could not see an officer file at National Archives.

EDIT TO ADD:- There is something strange about this. A Gazette notification of 24 August 1915 https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29273/page/8397 states that his name was properly Alfred Nicholas Jordan and not as stated in the Gazette of 19 December 1914 (this can only be A. F. Jordan as he was the only Jordan whose commission in the Royal Horse and Royal Field Artillery was gazetted in that issue) and the Gazette of 28 April 1915 (this can only refer to Alfred F. Jordan whose promotion to temp. Lt. was gazetted in that issue). The confusion over the use of the second initial "F" instead of "N" cannot be explained.

There are family history records on ancestry for an Alfred Nicholas Jordan, and reference in Army Lists but the latter are only available on ancestry's Fold3 site.  

Edited by HarryBrook

What about the Notts Derby A F Jordan? No way is the initial an 'n'. I don't have access to Ancestry , only on free weekends.

Yes, it is blindingly obvious that the second initial of the signature shown in post #1 is not "N".

And since the image of the signature of Arthur Frank London posted by Mark1959 at #14 does not match it might be assumed that the signature is not of A. F. London, Notts and Derby Regt. And since there was a suggestion by David Owen at post #2 that the surname is Jordan (with which I agree) I had a look in the London Gazette for notifications relating to an officer named A. F. Jordan. The notifications, of December 1914 and April 1915,  posted in post #20 seemed to be a plausible suggestion for a name to fit the signature. It was only by following through the London Gazette quarterly index for further notifications relating to him that it came to light that his proper name was Alfred Nicholas Jordan, hence my edit of #post 20 to this effect. It is entirely within the realms of possibility that he had previously used the name, and signed, A.F. Jordan.

Instead of posting the edit perhaps I should have deleted my original post, or perhaps I should not have chipped in at all.     

• Admin

Harry

All suggestions are more than welcome, you are correct he could have used that name and so should be considered along with all the other suggestions. Janet's previous calls for help have been puzzling and interesting at the same time and this is proving to be the same.

Please do keep up the search with us as the journey isn't over yet.

Regards

David

I'm back, but the search does not seem to have discovered any more information. This is the whole entry. 1915 Fingers still crossed.

thumbnail?appId=YMailNorrin&downloadWhenThumbnailFails=true&pid=2

• Admin
1 hour ago, Janet Durbin said:

I'm back, but the search does not seem to have discovered any more information. This is the whole entry. 1915 Fingers still crossed.

thumbnail?appId=YMailNorrin&downloadWhenThumbnailFails=true&pid=2

Welcome back Janet, the link doesn't work.

David