Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Stretchers

GRANVILLE

I'm soon to take delivery of what is clearly a former military stretcher and from what I can see in some photos it looks to me as if it could easily go into a display with the mannequin I have. It looks very similar to a stretcher currently on eBay, advertised as circa WW1. Can anyone offer advice on what to look for in a WW1 pattern stretcher. I'm assuming they will bear a WD arrow stamp and date somewhere?

David   

The following are the dimensions and weight Mark II and Mark I* stretchers:-
Length canvas 6' 0"
length pole 7' 9"
Width, total 1' 11"
Height 0' 6"
Weight 30 lbs.
Tonnage without pillow .0364 ton.
Tonnage Pillow only .015 ton.

These are the photos of the one concerned.

stretcher 1.jpg

stretcher 2.jpg

stretcher 3.jpg

1 minute ago, johnboy said:

I posted so you can check dimensions,

Yes, got the info thanks. Will check when I take delivery of it.

The 1904 published Manual for the RAMC (184 pages) has the following on stretchers. In Section II: RAMC drills and exercises, chapter II: Stretcher Drill is a 'Description of Stretchers':
The regulation ambulance stretchers in use are those known as Mark I and Special Mark I. In these stretchers the canvas, which is tanned, is fastened to the poles by copper nails through an edging of leather; the poles are square and kept apart the required distance by two flat, wrought-iron jointed bars called traverses, and they are fitted with four rackets each carrying a three-inch gunmetal or wooden roller. A pillow and pair of shoulder slings are provided with each stretcher. The pillows are wedge-shaped, varying from three and a-half to one and a-half inches in thickness, and are kept in the ambulance wagon for use with the stretchers supplied with the wagon. There are eyelet holes in the canvas of the stretcher at both ends for the attachment of the pillow at either end by strings. The sling, which is either a broad leather strap, or, if of the latest pattern, a strip of tanned web, has at either end a loop, one of which is furnished with a buckle by means of which the sling can be lengthened or shortened, and at the opposite end is a narrow transverse strap fixed at right angles, which is buckled round the stretcher when closed.
The ambulance stretcher, Special Mark I, is fitted with a hood for use in hot climates, and four handles, two on each side, so that it can be carried by six bearers. It is also provided with four shoulder pads. This stretcher is adapted for carrying a wounded man a long distance.
The following are the dimensions and weight of the field stretcher, Mark I:
Length canvas 6' 0"
length pole 7' 9"
Width, total 1' 11"
Height 0' 5 7/8"
Weight 34 lbs.
Tonnage .08 tons.

The 1911 copy of the 'RAMC Training' (reprinted 1914) has over 450 pages. Part III, Chapter XVIII on the 'Transport of Wounded' states the following:
paragraph 303: Army Pattern Ambulance Stretchers.-
The ambulance stretcher in use in the British Army are those known as Mark II. Those formerly known as Mark I are being converted to this pattern as Mark I*; a third pattern, fitted with hood, is known as Special Mark I.
304:
In Mark II stretchers the canvas, which is tanned, is fastened to the poles by copper nails through an edging of leather; the poles are square and kept apart the required distance by two flat, wrought-iron jointed bars called traverses, and are fitted on the under side with steel U-shaped runners. A pillow and a pair of shoulder-slings are provided with each stretcher. The pillows are wedge-shaped, varying from 1 1/2 to 3 1/2 inches in thickness. There are eyelet holes in the canvas of the stretcher at both ends for the attachment of the pillows by thin leather thongs. The sling, which is of tanned web, has at either end a loop, one of which is furnished with a brass grip-plate, by means of which the sling can be lengthened or shortened; at the opposite end is a narrow, transverse strap fixed at right angles, which is buckled round the stretcher when closed.
The following are the dimensions and weight Mark II and Mark I* stretchers:-
Length canvas 6' 0"
length pole 7' 9"
Width, total 1' 11"
Height 0' 6"
Weight 30 lbs.
Tonnage without pillow .0364 ton.

Excellent thanks.

Does anyone know if the web carry straps were very much different from those of the WW2 pattern?

David

Cheers for this. In principle they are very similar to the later versions although I'm not sure what purpose the short strap and buckle performs? 

Heres a couple of picture one with the older type sling and one with the newer that is basically the same until the 1960's generally the poles are varnished but due to the huge number being made some are painted green , Copper nails through an edging strip is also a good giveaway and the bed is Brown or a very pale green which tendrs to be the ones being used in the UK 

. Also as several organisations supplied stretchers they dont all have a crows foot .image.png.f3dba5317cc1045445c7eb3d00f8ddf9.pngimage.png.921a6578edb8ea44287a06776bf46720.png

Edited by Male VAD
Forgot some detail

Excellent pair of photos, although still not clear what the short buckle strap was about.

David

3 hours ago, Male VAD said:

Short buckle is about the armies obsession with folding things up tidily !!

I can go with that!

David