Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

laughton

I have now posted a draft report on the incorrect identification of the Lieutenant Colonel (PDF FOrmat):

http://laughton.ca/reports/Lieutenant Colonels Hindle and Stewart Unicorn Cemetery Plot 4 Row G Grave 9.pdf

Comments are not only welcome but appreciated.

Richard

Great work Richard.

It would be great to know why they thought it was Hindle in the first place.

Neil

• 5 months later...

I have caught up with my original notes on Hindle and Stewart and-now I can walk again- hit NA and gone through their officer files again.  Alas, there is nothing in the files for either man that gives any information about circumstances of death or location.  The only  scraps of information that might-just-come in useful at some future time are:

1) HINDLE (WO 374/33606)   Contains the report of a Medical Board held at Osborne, Isle of Wight on 27th July 1915. Hindle had been hit by shrapnel at Festubert on 15th June 1915 and it had removed the tip of his nose.  (In the extremely unlikely event of an exhumation)

2)  STEWART- (WO 339/71450)    File is a bit more complex but there is a long shot that a few more questions might help. Stewart was killed as a Temp. Lt.Col. commanding 6th Leicesters but he was -correctly- a substantive Major in the North Somerset Yeomanry.  I suppose there may be some mileage in speculating how he was badged when he was killed.  Have you asked CWGC if there are any unidentified officers badged as North Somerset Yeomanry on their records?????

ii)  Stewart's file has a report -Casualty Form, Part 2-that he was  hit by GSW, right thigh on 28th September 1915. Again, in the unlikely event of an exhumation..........

Hope that helps.

13 hours ago, JOVE23 said:

Hi Mike,

Regarding point 1: the nose is made of cartilage and not bone, so I highly doubt anything of Hindle's nose would remain if his body were exhumed. 

Best,

Justin

Exactly so- but the vagaries of what remains and what does not is not a wholly exact science. We have recently had the example of the newly canonised Cardinal John Henry Newman-whose mortal remains have effectively disappeared from the Oratory in Birmingham-due to the soil conditions. Yes, survival is extremely unlikely- but if there is an outside chance that something might restore the dignity of true identity of a fallen serviceman of the Great War, then it was my job to report it to Richard.

Thanks for the report!