Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Aerial Image of Beaumont-Hamel/White City/Y-ravine

peterhogg

This sector of the battlefield has always sparked my interest.  Recently in the course of a google image search  I happened upon a German aerial photo of the above-noted that I found quite remarkable and may be of interest to some.  While I've seen several aerial photos in various books and guides for this sector it is the first time I believe I've ever seen a contemporary aerial image from that angle and that also depicts 3rd, 4th and 5th avenues crossing the field and leading up to the area of White City.  Perhaps it's just news to me but I found it quite interesting.  It makes for an interesting exercise comparing the image to the on-the-ground images captured by official photographers Malins and Brooks just prior and during the first day of the Somme battle in that sector, or comparing the photo to a present image on Google Earth.  

It appears that the image was originally posted by Rob Schaefer on his twitter site back in January, 2017.  I'm not certain as to the forum rules with respect to linking or attaching an image from someone's site so I will refrain but it does pop up quite readily on a google image search of "aerial images of Beaumont-Hamel".  

If you are not familiar with it, it's worth a look.

Peter.

15 hours ago, Ralph J. Whitehead said:

Was it this one?

Landesarchiv_Baden-Wuerttemberg_Generallandesarchiv_Karlsruhe_456_F_54_Nr._120_Foto_58_Bild_1_(4-1848124-1) (1).jpg

Hi Ralph,

Not exactly but very similar.  Thanks for posting this one.  Its a great companion image to the other.  The one I saw has reference "A.32.345 F 9.8.16" taken from a slightly different angle, perhaps a little more to the northwest(?)  Regardless, thanks for this image.  It's a great photo.