Jump to content
Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

RGJDEE

Markings to P1907 “Chapman Hooked Quillion”

Recommended Posts

RGJDEE

Can any of you learned Gentlemen identify these markings ?? and perhaps comment on its provenance ??

thanks Richard

 

437DEA45-BC4C-4CEC-AE73-09331001242F.jpeg

63E6F56E-AE81-4546-A6EB-D80DCFA83841.jpeg

E05DED99-798E-4791-A4E7-7649C4F0FB5C.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chasemuseum

The markings are odd, no acceptance, bend test or proof markings. A date of January 1914, which by memory is after the discontinuance of hook quillion on British manufacture.

Not sure what this means. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RGJDEE
7 minutes ago, Chasemuseum said:

The markings are odd, no acceptance, bend test or proof markings. A date of January 1914, which by memory is after the discontinuance of hook quillion on British manufacture.

Not sure what this means. 

 Not at all familiar with the inspection stamp

Edited by RGJDEE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JMB1943

Mr. D,

 

I would make the following points,

1) slab-sided (rather than rounded) HQ, suggests Australian 

2) blade appears to be full-length blued, ditto

3) HQ and made 1 ‘14, ditto

4) The “CHAPMAN “ stamp looks genuine, although double-stamped.

 

We need Shipping Steel to discuss the D3/A and other unusual markings.

All in all, this bayonet would be my second purchase if I were to start a VERY specialized type of collection.

 

Regards,

JMB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chasemuseum

Hi JMB,

Agree with your comments and very reminiscent of your recent post of another HQ bayonet. An interesting collection theme.

Cheers

Ross

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dave66

Ditto here, 

Also no G.R. Cypher under an odd looking crown....it would be interesting to see if the pommel has a clearance hole. 

That very specialized has another contender in this one.

 

Dave.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RGJDEE

Thanks for your observations Gents, not ready to embark on collection two just yet, still attempting to obtain a genuine one !  for my original collection.

Regards and thanks , Richard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dave66
2 hours ago, RGJDEE said:

Thanks for your observations Gents, not ready to embark on collection two just yet, still attempting to obtain a genuine one !  for my original collection.

Regards and thanks , Richard

Thanks for posting it Richard, always nice to see the suspect ones as well as the good.

Dave.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Andrew Upton

It's a modern copy. Typical semi-correct period style marks used by various makers to give the impression of a genuine item whilst leaving enough clues to the experienced it's not a real one,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RGJDEE
8 hours ago, Andrew Upton said:

It's a modern copy. Typical semi-correct period style marks used by various makers to give the impression of a genuine item whilst leaving enough clues to the experienced it's not a real one,

Thanks Andrew, here’s a photo of the scabbard which accompanies it, ironic that the scabbard appears to be rather nice.

A9A60E0B-0C93-42E0-A9B5-E72D2C4CD0C5.png

5F37C583-9236-41F2-A9A8-C3CE4518E8E3.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Andrew Upton
15 hours ago, RGJDEE said:

Thanks Andrew, here’s a photo of the scabbard which accompanies it, ironic that the scabbard appears to be rather nice.

 

I had one particular maker in mind from the original pictures, and they also supplied some rather nice reproduction scabbards. That whole set up to my mind is typical of their work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RGJDEE
11 hours ago, Andrew Upton said:

 

I had one particular maker in mind from the original pictures, and they also supplied some rather nice reproduction scabbards. That whole set up to my mind is typical of their work.

Well it just sold at auction for £380

!!!!!!!!!!! Buyer beware !

( or at least get some close ups before you bid )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MikeyH

Yes, I saw that it had sold at that figure.  About right for a 'real one'.

I wonder if the punter will ask for his money back?

 

Mike.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RGJDEE
43 minutes ago, MikeyH said:

Yes, I saw that it had sold at that figure.  About right for a 'real one'.

I wonder if the punter will ask for his money back?

 

Mike.

I thought the listing of “British Bayonet “ very ambiguous, clearly the auctioneer is either Wily or lacking in knowledge. Went for the same amount as a v nice unit marked MOLE HQ a couple of weeks ago. Don’t think with that listing he s got much chance of getting his money back .

R

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
trajan

Wouldn't touch it with a bargepole! Even as a non-P.1907 person too many oddities about... Yes, there are exceptions that prove the rule - but not as many as this one!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MikeyH

A Japanese 'Arisaka' bayonet is coming up for auction on the 7th November.   This has been identified by the auction house as a British P1907 Hook Quillon.  A number of people are watching the item, someone may be in for a surprise!

 

Mike.

Edited by MikeyH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MikeyH

The item description on the above was amended, it sold for £65 as an Arisaka bayonet.

 

Mike.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×