Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can anyone identify cemeteries

John S

This is the first of two photos’ I found recently in an old family album.

I think it was taken in the late 20’s early 30’s during a visit to the Western Front by the sister of my great uncle who was killed in 1916 (commemorated at Thiepval).

The Headstone is inscribed ‘A British Lance Cpl of the Great War’ The wooden cross next to it has a brass plate with inscription which I think reads ‘unknown German …’

The headstone on the back row to the left of the main headstone seems to have two badges engraved on it as does the one next but one to that.

Behind the hedge are other memorials ?civilian and in the distance a couple of houses.

Not much to go on I’m afraid and the quality of the photo doesn’t help, the original is only 6.4 x 4 cms.

Thanks

John

post-19-1105717606.jpg

It looks as though this is a military cemetary extension from a civilian one. If so, it should narrow it down!

Also, the trees in the background are Lombardy poplars are they not?

I would agree with Tom that it is Ypres Town Cemetery: the row of graves along the hedge has several badges on one stone - something common to this cemetery. I might have a comparison shot somewhere?

Wild, wild guess - Ypres Town Cemetery Extension?

prompted entirely by this, I checked out the CWGC. I think it has to be Ypres Town Cemetery - rather than Ypres Town Cemetery Extension. The photograph is just so similar to the other one you posted. It would be more than unfair for me to claim any credit whatsoever for this - Tom's post basically got it, I just had a few spare minutes to look at the two or three cemeteries related t Ypres on the CWGC site. I know nothing about Ypres or this part of the war.

regards

doogal

well, it took me so long to write this, things have moved on... :D

Edited by doogal

John posted a second photo in another thread.

http://1914-1918.org/forum/index.php?act=S...t=0#entry206883

I have just identified his second photo as Ypres Tow Cemetery (together with a photo of mine to prove it.)

As the 2 photos came from the same album, this one here probably is the same cemetery. Or rather : Ypres Town Cem. Extension (which is adjacent to Ypres Town Cem.)

Next time I am near I 'll take the modern version of the photo. (Probably next Wednesday or sooner.)

John, if you want the promised photo, and the one I posted in the other thread in the original format, contact me off Forum.

Aurel

Many thanks to all who posted suggestions.

Although I have seen evidence of the knowledge of the Forum members in other posts I didn't expect this response. I thought it would be a problem regards the quality of the photos and the lack of clear information in them.

Since the relative was killed on the Somme I thought the cemetery would be in that area, but it does fit in with a couple of photos of the Cloth Hall (surrounded by scaffold) in the same album, so they definitely visited Ypres.

Mind you there are many other town shots in the album which I don't recognise, perhaps I might post those sometime!

Once again many thanks to all of you.

Tom and Paul, we have met, once again thanks for your guided tours which added so much to my knowledge and understanding.

Regards

John

Sorry it took me a couple of days to get to Ypres Town Cemetery Extension. But here is the photo John posted, modern version now. Taken from exactly the same spot. Even some of the civilian graves (crosses) in the background are recognizable.

And if you had wondered about the original wooden marker on the right : the answer is that it is "Zwei unbekannte Krieger gefallen für Deutschland 1914-1918"

Aurel

post-19-1106217416.jpg

And once again, John's original photo just below my previous one (and a bit resized), to make comparison easier.

Aurel

post-19-1106217499.jpg

Aurel

Many thanks for the photo.

Fully appreciate your efforts over the two threads I posted.

The interest shown by all other 'Pals' is also much appreciated.

Regards

John

Lovely work as always, Aurel.

The British & German graves are quite poignant, being adjacent. Remember "A picture is worth a thousand words".

Steve