Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with Unit Identification

Dear Fellows: I’m new at this and still stumbling around. I want to direct this to Terry_Reeves about the Inland Water Transportation Royal Engineers. I’ve come across a WW1 photo of a US Army soldier assigned to the “125th Inland Water Transportation Company.”  Is it possible that this unit was British? My research into inland water transportation of WW1 has found “no US Army units of this name and time period.” The United States Army did not organize transportation units especially inland water or harborcraft until 1942. Any thoughts? TX, Rick Gardner.

Rick

There is no record of 125 Coy IWT but that does not mean it did not exist. Most of the IWT units with similar numbers were construction companies but these were UK based. However, some work was carried out in France in respect of repair work. Does the photograph give any clue as to where it was taken? Perhaps you could post the photograph with the inscription.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

On 27/09/2018 at 17:44, Grandson Charles said:

Dear Fellows: I’m new at this and still stumbling around. I want to direct this to Terry_Reeves about the Inland Water Transportation Royal Engineers. I’ve come across a WW1 photo of a US Army soldier assigned to the “125th Inland Water Transportation Company.”  Is it possible that this unit was British? My research into inland water transportation of WW1 has found “no US Army units of this name and time period.” The United States Army did not organize transportation units especially inland water or harborcraft until 1942. Any thoughts? TX, Rick Gardner.

Thank you. This "forum" is not working well for me. If you send me an email  I'll return with the photo. And now, I here by give you permission to post it on this forum or any other. Please understand it is not mine but a gift from a US Army museum. So if you re-post, please give them credit.  Awaiting your email. TX.

On 27/09/2018 at 19:03, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Yes it was part of the British Royal Engineers.

Thank you. This "forum" is not working well for me. If you send me an email  I'll return with the photo. And now, I here by give you permission to post it on this forum or any other. Please understand it is not mine but a gift from a US Army museum. So if you re-post, please give them credit.  Awaiting your email. TX.